What do you guys think? Need any work? Please be honest!

At the age of ten I suffered my first night time tonic-clonic seizure. I remember waking up in the ambulance feeling my mother squeezing my arm and reassuring me that everything would be alright. But at the time the truth was that we didn’t know. Mostly we were scared. After several more unexplained seizures and a series of exams I was diagnosed as having Benign Rolandic Epilepsy.

Once I was diagnosed with epilepsy, my childhood aspirations of becoming a professional ballerina or an astronaut shifted towards medicine. I was inspired by my pediatric neurosurgeon’s knowledge of the field of neurosurgery and his passion for helping others. After some researching and speaking with my primary care physician, I felt my talents would be best suited in the medical field. Still I remained undecided whether to pursue a profession in pharmacy or clinical patient care. I continued to debate my future plans throughout my four years of undergraduate school. While chemistry was my forte in high school, I found myself struggling with the collegiate chemistry courses and became more fascinated in the study of the human body.

After receiving my Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences, I decided to dedicate two years working with patients to make sure that pursuing a career as a physician assistant was the right fit for me. I learned about their many roles, the diverse opportunities in different specialties, and their prevalence within the medical community. I was taught the diagnosis and treatment process for patients by the volunteer physicians, physician assistants, and nurses at the free clinic located in my town. I gained the confidence necessary for working in patient care from first-hand experience.

Along with working with physician assistants, I have also practiced on the other side of patient care with my experience as a pharmacy technician. I have been trained on drug information and drug interactions which have instilled a deeper understanding of how certain medications affect the body. I have seen patients unable to afford expensive medications, unaware of what they are being prescribed, overmedicated, and misusing drugs. These issues motivate me towards becoming a compassionate physician assistant who strives for patient-focused care and delivers answers and reassurance for patients. In Latin doctor means “to teach.” Education is empowering for patients. It strengthens patient autonomy, builds trust between health professionals and patients, and provides peace of mind for each party. As a physician assistant my goal would not only be to make people healthy, but to teach patients how to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

While working with a physician assistant from a small clinic in my town, I witnessed the strong relationships she had built with her patients over her twenty years. I watched multiple generations treated at the same clinic and patients asking about her family before each visit. Her office was lined with “Thank You” cards from her grateful patients and the smile on her face while greeting each patient showed how she truly loved going to work each day. My experience shadowing was inspirational and motivational. I look forward to the day when I realize that I have made an impact on my patients the same way.

Word count 527

• 1 month later...

Archived