Emergency Medicine Rotation - Advice Needed

I was just notified that my first rotation will be in the Emergency Room of a smaller hospital. While I have a strong background in pre-hospital care, I am somewhat apprehensive about jumping right into a fast paced & challenging rotation.

Does anyone have any advice for this clerkship? I am also interested in resources you may have used during your rotation, such as iPad applications, pocket references, books, etc.

Thanks!

Rob Weiss PA-S

MEDEX Northwest, Yakima Class 18

every first rotation will be a challenge. if you have prior experience in EMS you already have a head start! you will do great! EM is not as fast paced and scary as it is on TV, especially if you are at a smaller hospital (not a trauma center). its challenging though, but a good challenge :-) (maybe im a little biased though lol)

get Pocket Emergency Medicine. i used that alot during my rotation and honestly thats the only book i used to study for my end of rotation exam. I had the old edition with the black cover. I recently bought the newer edition and honestly i like the old one better.

for apps i use Epocrates every day at work. also the EMRA antibiotic app is helpful sometimes, though I usually end up using epocrates. I bought a couple other EM apps before I started my job but honestly i have not used them much and cant even remember the names

other than that, as you go through the rotation i think the most important thing to learn is the general workup for common presentations- Chest pain, abdominal pain, SOB, back pain, vaginal bleed, etc. Have a good idea of what tests to order for each chief complaint, and what red flags you need to look out for, and what to ask in the history, look out for in the physical or what test you need to order to rule out the red flag (PE, aortic dissection, etc etc)

Oh, and jump at procedures!!! Most of the docs and PAs will be happy to hand off their lacs and abcesses to you :-)

Archived