UVU (Utah Valley University) 2022-2023 CASPA Cycle

Hey guys! Since CASPA opens today I wanted to start this forum to create a space where we could collaborate and help each other on our paths to becoming PA's! This forum is specific to the UVU application process. I hope we can use this space to answer questions, resolve concerns, & offer encouragement regarding UVU's application process. Good luck and I can't wait to get to know everyone!!

uvulogo.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@BassBob I applied last year but didn’t get in. But I have some friends that are in the program. They’ve really enjoyed their experience so far! The say the faculty are awesome and the facility is really nice. 

@Zildjian311 Same! Make sure you treat the Kira interview like an actual interview. Dress up, put your self in good lighting and a clean environment, and smile! I spoke with Michelle (head of admissions) last year after I didn’t get in and those were tips she gave me. 

• Thanks 1

PAobsession, I understand that a perianal abscess is a painful thing to go through. I would seriously consider putting yourself in the situation of the admissions comittee. They are going to read that you want to be a PA because a PA "handled your rear end with empathy." You need a better reason for why you want to be a PA. I'm not trying to invalidate your experience, but if your opener is about your opening, I don't think that reflects to the comittee that you are taking this process seriously. That could be a real problem for you when they are evaluating your application. If you'd like to talk more about it, feel free to message me!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, PAobsession said:

Hey Guys! I am new to the forum, only applying to this school as Im pretty sure I will get in and I just don't want to go anywhere else! I haven't submitted yet tho, cause I was wondering if anyone had any feed back for the opening of my personal statement real quick? Im hoping to submit in the next couple of days! Here is the first paragraph of my personal statement. 

"I screamed into the night as the scalpel pierced my anus. It was 3am and I was sitting in an ER bed in some of the worst pain of my life. 8 hours earlier I was admitted due to a perianal abscess and was having it drained. In that moment, I was scared, worried, and wondering if I was going to have some serious post-procedure complications. The only thing that gave me comfort was the PA on the other end who was an immaculate professional. She handled my rear-end with empathy, understanding, care, and incredible medical expertise. Up until this point in my life I knew I wanted to work in healthcare, but I felt aimless as to which direction to go. Seeing the way this PA handled my situation, made me believe that I had found the medical career for me. I wanted to do for others, what she had done for me."

I feel like its pretty good, but just want to make sure its perfect! Any feed back is appreciated. Thanks! Excited to be classmates with some of you! 

I agree that it's a little descriptive.  If it's important to you, maybe pin it on your brother or dad but still leave the experience?

15 hours ago, BassBob said:

@PAWorldUTHow are the facilities and equipment there? Since it's a new program is it physically nice there? I've heard good things about the program and am curious if the campus matches that.

It is really nice! We share a building with UVU's nursing program, respiratory therapy program, and dental hygiene program. They built on a wing to the campus for our use. It is across the freeway from UVU's main campus so it is pretty secluded so it isn't crazy busy. Lots of study space, lots of windows, and a simulation lab identical to a typical family practice patient room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PAWorldUT said:

It is really nice! We share a building with UVU's nursing program, respiratory therapy program, and dental hygiene program. They built on a wing to the campus for our use. It is across the freeway from UVU's main campus so it is pretty secluded so it isn't crazy busy. Lots of study space, lots of windows, and a simulation lab identical to a typical family practice patient room.

That's pretty cool having your "own" space with all the med stuff. Have you been able to meet with real patients yet or is it still a lot of patient actors? Or I guess some of both? Also are the professors still active in the field?

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 2:44 PM, BassBob said:

That's pretty cool having your "own" space with all the med stuff. Have you been able to meet with real patients yet or is it still a lot of patient actors? Or I guess some of both? Also are the professors still active in the field?

Yes, starting second semester we rotate at free clinic with real patients. However, once a week starting the second or third week of school, we see simulated patients and that is my favorite class! haha.

The primary faculty is required to continue working in the field so they do about 1 day a week. The great majority of our teaching comes from adjunct professors who are full time in the community and come to present on various topics from their field or a field they have experience in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Kenp1 said:

Would any of you mind sharing stats who received a Kira invite? I got denied today, and I feel like I had relatively good chance so I’m very curious!

thanks in advance 

My stats:

cGPA: 3.54

sGPA: 3.46

PCE: ~4000 hours as a MA 

HCE: ~400 hours

Volunteer: 200 hours

PA Shadowing: 0 hours in-person (but I also work directly under a general surgery PA), 37 hours virtually 

I feel like my GPA is pretty average but also had lots of leadership roles in college to balance it out. First gen college student + out of state applicant (not sure if that made a difference)