Rounding/call

The physician I currently work with is moving to another state leaving me to either follow or find a new job. I have been working in Ortho for the past 3 years and have absolutely loved it. I'm curious how other ortho PA's take part of on call/rounding. With the physician i work with we generally alternate days or weeks rounding on surgical patients. As far as call goes, surgeon takes consult and examines patient and then calls me whenever there is a surgical case and I will assist in that case. Then we split the rounding load during weekends. I know of some Pa's who do the initial consult and then call the doctor when surgery is required. Just trying to get an idea of what is the more common practice. And also if you do take the consult I would imagine there would be some sort of additional call compensation. Any info would be appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I work in ortho sports medicine.  I take call about 1 day during the week and one weekend every six weeks.  I get paid about 10 dollars an hour to be on call.  I get time and a half if I go into the hospital.  The problem is I also field calls from patients at home for the entire practice.  On the weekends I am bombarded with patient calls regarding pain, surgical complications, med refills etc.  I am not compensated for any of these calls.  I feel 10 dollars an hour is already low just to be available to go in, however I am also providing medical advice and treatment over the phone for least than minimum wage.  Shouldn't I be compensated for my time with these phone calls?