EM in Boston vs NYC?

Hi all,

I'm currently in a fellowship program in NY, but my SO just got an attending position offer in Boston. Just entertaining the idea since we still have some time to make a decision, but would love some feedback from those who have insight from practicing in Boston and NYC. Ie level of autonomy per state legislation, pros/cons of each, saturation, earning potentials, culture. Also ideas of/reputation of certain institutions in Boston would be great if you're comfortable with sharing. TIA!

Another question: if NPs have full independent practice in MA, how has that affect PAs in that state?

Edited by currentPA

Boston has a lot of physicians and a lot of major medical centers as does NYC. If you are looking for autonomy as a residency trained EMPA, your best bet is smaller, critical access hospitals in ME, VT, NH, or upstate NY. Typically, anywhere that physicians want to work will have PAs in the ED relegated to seeing fast track or at most level 3 pts(like abd pain, etc) , while they see all the unstable patients, traumas, CVAs, GI bleeds, elderly chest pain, etc

. My understanding is that NY has better PA legislation than MA, but I would defer to folks actually working in either of these states. 

• Upvote 1