Applying or not applying?

Hi everyone,

A little bit background about me:

I have a doctorate degree in education and I have worked as patient navigator in the past three years. My main responsibility was to educated patients on what they need to do before and after surgery and follow up with them. My employer was a healthcare startup company, but I was working with patients in the hospital.

Do you think this experience will be enough to apply to PA school? I see most people have a healthcare degree or certificate (RN, MA, etc). 

Also, I am taking my prerequisites through Doane online courses(with online lab). 
Is it a red flag for schools if the courses with lab are online?
Any input is highly appreciated…
many thanks

On 11/30/2021 at 1:46 PM, Eli74 said:

Hi everyone,

A little bit background about me:

I have a doctorate degree in education and I have worked as patient navigator in the past three years. My main responsibility was to educated patients on what they need to do before and after surgery and follow up with them. My employer was a healthcare startup company, but I was working with patients in the hospital.

Do you think this experience will be enough to apply to PA school? I see most people have a healthcare degree or certificate (RN, MA, etc). 

Also, I am taking my prerequisites through Doane online courses(with online lab). 
Is it a red flag for schools if the courses with lab are online?
Any input is highly appreciated…
many thanks

I think that the best answer to both of your questions is to reach out to the schools you plan to apply to and find out. Some programs specify on their website whether they accept online lab courses or not (a few of mine did, but a few were strict that they had to be taken in person). This could help shape how you proceed and/or which programs you apply to.

For the PCE, I would also email admissions for your programs of interest with a description of your job duties and see if they'll give you an idea if they consider that PCE or not. Sometimes they can be a little averse to offering specific counseling on this via email, so if not, I've had good luck asking questions at webinars. What you described sounds really borderline HCE vs PCE so it would be hard to say without consulting the school.

Good luck to you