New Grad offer

I've been offered a position in an Urgent Care setting. The job is 3 12's with 15-40 partients during that shift. There is no training and no supervision, I will be the only one in the office. Does anyone think that would be an appropriate position to accept for a new graduate? I feel the position is very risky, but the pay is nice.

Thanks for any thoughts...

If you have to ask...in other words, nope. The UC clinic is foolish to put a green PA in that role and you would be more foolish to ignore your intuition and accept.

Money is nice in the short-term but your first few years out of school are priceless. Don't sell yourself short and, more importantly, don't risk your career and your patients' safety by taking on such risk without a safety net.

I would feel differently if there were some mentorship involved, but without it, no way.

FWIW I had a job like that 8 yr into my career. It didn't pay enough and I thank God every day that nobody died on my watch. It was the longest year of my career....

Good luck ;)

don't do it. you need another provider around to bounce stuff off of as a new grad for at least a year, preferably 2. we have an affiliated urgent care and we require new grads to only work shifts there as double coverage for the first year. also 40 pts in 12 hrs is > 3 hr, approaching 4/hr if you take a lunch break. that is too much volume for a new grad.

Thank you for the advice, it's pretty much what I was expecting. I just needed to hear it from someone with more experience. It's hard to turn down your only job offer, LOL!

Do you guys have any suggestions for a new graduate looking for work. I would ideally like to end up in an Emergency Department. I have talked to a few PA's and they recommend hospitalist position if you cant start directly in an ED. Also I am looking in Southern California and it seems most hospitals only use PA's for specialties like Ortho and ED. How does one get their foot in the door?

Alyssa van Bibber

Archived