Rejection

Hi I am a first time applicant.  I applied to six schools in September.  I have been rejected from one (my gpa didn't meet their threshold). I haven't heard anything from the others and I just want to know if they all officially send out rejections.  Or do I just take the hint when I never hear from them for an interview?  I am thinking of applying to two more schools with December 1 deadlines.  Any information about the process would be helpful.  thanks.

If your GPA didn't meet the minimums, I'm not sure why applying to that program made sense. Often GPA (both cumulative and science) are hard cut-offs that are screened by administrative staff and noncomplying applications often don't get to a faculty member for review.) Having a ton of experience -- for example -- often won't get you past a low GPA since the latter is judged as a better guide to how well you would do in a PA program.

That said, there is no harm applying to places now with future cut-offs if you meet their criteria. This might also be the time to take an impartial look at your qualifications and decide what you can do to improve them. That might include taking some more coursework since it sounds like your grades might be a weak point. Another -- if you're older and some of your classes are old too -- is to look for schools that weight the most recent 60 or so credits more strongly than the older ones.

Best wishes.

I agree that taking a look at possibly retaking some of those classes you may have struggled in would be a good idea. They like to see you working on your application to make it better, especially if you are going to apply again next year (Although I hope you get in this year). Make sure to triple check before submitting applications though that you make all requirements because if you don't meet the basic ones, you will be filtered out pretty quickly regardless of the situation, so do not waste money doing that. If you apply to schools with December deadlines, be sure to review and see if they are rolling admissions as well because that plays a roll considering they have been looking at applications this entire time. Good luck to you, keep your head up, and don't give up!