Question about my major

I am thinking about changing my biological sciences specialization from cell biology and genetics to just general biology because it works better with PA school prerequisites. I was wondering if general biology is considered less impressive than the cell biology and genetics specialization and if I should stay in because it would be advantageous for future job or grad school applications. Thank you so much for your time and I appreciate any advice you can give me.

I was accepted with a general biology degree. I think, especially for PA school, that major is not especially relevant; since you can apply with a degree in underwater basketweaving so long as you have the prereqs.

As for the difference between a science heavy degree and one that isn't (ie underwater basketweaving), it isn't too hard to imagine that it makes a slight difference (slight preference to the science heavy degree) - that is if you earn identical GPAs in both. As for the difference between two science heavy degrees, I would choose the one that will allow you to get the prereqs easier and the one that would be easier overall - allowing for a higher GPA upon graduation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Diggy said:

This is solid advice. Given how competitive PA school is these days. Nothing is worse than a useless degree and no income.

Like a general biology degree... useless you want to teach high school. haha

If I could redo. I would get a BSN - then at least I would high quality healthcare experience prior to applying and I feel as though the education would give you a better foundation to build on for PA school. Plus being a RN for a year or two after graduating wouldn't be a bad gig by any means.

12 hours ago, MysticMac14 said:

Like a general biology degree... useless you want to teach high school. haha

If I could redo. I would get a BSN - then at least I would high quality healthcare experience prior to applying and I feel as though the education would give you a better foundation to build on for PA school. Plus being a RN for a year or two after graduating wouldn't be a bad gig by any means.

Yup! My exercise and health science degree gave me nothing lmao. And in today's climate, RNs are making a killing. 

I'd also say to pick a degree that you enjoy.

My initial degree was in art history; I loved it. It wasn't "useful" but honestly, a lot of degrees aren't. And unless you're an engineer or maybe an accountant or something, your degree really doesn't matter. I worked in marketing/advertising before taking my PA school pre-reqs. Your pre-req classes and experiences matter more than your specific major.