Two different directions I can choose in my PS and I need help deciding!

While most of my CASPA application is complete, I have been struggling with this personal statement. I am kind of a "plain jane" with no huge dramatic illness threatening a family member and no "This is what I want to do" exact moment. And I know that is okay. I have had passion for medicine for as long as I can remember, and needed no huge motivator to tell me that. So what I'm asking from all of you is to choose between two subject's to tie into my PS. I can go the "I've always wanted to do medicine" route, explaining how even at a very young age I was interested in it. OR I am a collegiate athlete and I could tie in my sport, Diving, into my PS.

I already have my job experience (EMT) and shadowing, as well as a little on how hard I work in grades. There was really never a semester or two in which I did ESPECIALLY horrible in so I didn't need to mention that either. I'm just worried that either diving is to abstract to put in my PS or that always being passionate about medicine is too cliche, because I've read my fair share of Personal Statements and it seems like everyone has had that mentioned.

I'd really appreciate any input, and can send in my very very rough draft if that is more helpful!

Embrace your path, whatever it was. It takes a lot of maturity to define a motivation as something other than a singular moment in time that "changed everything." How many extremely important decisions do you make in life based on one moment in time? Not many. Your motivation to practice medicine should not be defined by a singular moment, but should refelct a growth of thought and maturity and resolve. You may have "decided" to practice medicine when you were ten. But you also decided it again when you were 11 and 12. You also decided to practice medicine when you were busy studying while your friends were out drinking. You decided to practice medicine again when you spent time volunteering. See what I mean? You don't decide to buy a house on a whim, nor should your career be decided by a singular moment; however eventful it was. There is your opening line... "I decided to practice medicine when I was ten years old. Since then, I have decided to practice medicine over and over again as my commitment, passion, and resolve has grown and matured." Then outline moments in your life where this commitment was challenged and what you did to maintain your decision. It's like a commitment to marriage, you don't say "I do" and then that's it. You have to recommit everyday. They can be mundane moments of recommitment, or exciting ones. Just tell your story.

Thank you! I have been struggling with the same problem - not having a single, epic moment that totally encompassed my reasoning for taking the path to becoming a PA. It has been several, or even many, events that have formed my motivation. You have finally put into words what I have been trying to communicate for a long time now. So, thank you (again)!:smile:

Archived