When should we start job search?

Hello everyone, 

i am currently in rotation 7/12. We get one elective and so far I havent found a rotation I am absolutely in love with. I would end up selecting ED / urgent care but when I google for jobs, I dont see very many ED /urgent care openings in my region. So I am not sure if I should do an elective where I will most likely end up working. 

Also, when should I start applying? can i start before I am licensed/ certified? I know some places take care of licensure but should I start while i am in rotations or wait until I graduate? 

Any tips for job search is greatly appreciated!

From what I've seen and heard, many people do electives for either of these reasons:

1. Polish their resume for the specialty they want to work in

2. Solidify weaker skills in a certain area

Doing an elective solely for what jobs are available in an area probably won't pan out well. If the market were to suddenly change, you did a rotation that won't help you with differentiating yourself from other candidates. Work a rotation in a field you can see yourself being in for a significant portion of your career. 

Start applying early. You can apply as a student before you're certified or licensed. I graduated at the beginning of August and started applying for jobs in March. 

In terms of EM, it can be a competitive specialty for new grads to break into. UC can be easier but be wary of any job that want you to work as a solo provider as a new grad, which is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:53 PM, Dee1803 said:

Oh wow ok. I graduate in march and I was planning on applying in January. Did you get a lot of responses that early on or do you recommend resending application once you graduate? 

I was applying to hospital positions and had many responses. I started interviewing back in April and the majority of my interviews were in June and July. When I signed an offer a few weeks ago I was in consideration for several positions. 

What I found was that once you have connected with a recruiter and a team at a hospital system, they will work with you to find openings that are well suited for you, if they like you. Start making connections early. It will pay off down the road.

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't do the elective for that reason as someone else said it may not pan out very well if that's the only purpose of it. I think it's important, even if you're not planning to apply right now, to always get out there and start networking. 

For me, once I started networking and talking to recruiters things started to move faster than I expected and eventually you'll find something that fits you. You may want to do a background check on yourself so there's no surprises. I read on this website ( https://backgroundcheckrepair.org/ ) that things can be misfiled and end up on the wrong background report and this can cost valuable time when you find the position you want and there are others that want it too.

Someone else mentioned when they spoke to a recruiter that liked them the recruiter will put the work in to get you into the position their trying to fill. This is very true and is one of the main reasons I recommend to start getting your ducks in a row even if you don't plan to apply anywhere now. You can never be too prepared, especially for a position as important as the one you're going for. 

Best wishes and good luck with this endeavor~