expenses leading up to starting PA school

If you have left over money from your loans, it can go towards anything (rent, car payment, groceries, etc.) because (at least in my situation) they just deposit the extra money into your account. You usually get the extra money about 1-2 weeks after tuition has been paid. However, I'm not sure if you get that money in time to pay for your lease. I hope that answers your question 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, moose1 said:

Contact your financial aid office. I needed extra money to cover unplanned expenses and they were able to increase my grad plus loans to help out. 

So this was this pretty easy to do?? With some of my bills and everything I have been struggling a bit and it causes me a decent amount of stress. I didn't even know you could increase this way and was trying to looking into small, private grad loans but without working I was denied.

Edited by KuchiKopi

There are two types of federal loans, direct and grad plus loans. Direct is capped at 20,500 per year, grad plus covers school expenses over that. I'm not even sure there is a limit for how much you can borrow with grad plus. 

This article summarizes it well. 

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/loans/student-loans/much-borrow-college

I called my financial aid office, and I had a direct deposit within three days This was at the beginning of the term, so that may have had something to do with their flexibility. This was at a large state school. 

Good luck, hope this helps.