2021-2022 Application Rotation

Guest anonRAM2023
8 hours ago, bambs said:

Just received my file score today. Does anyone know if any interview invitations have been sent out yet?

Yes, for those whom met the file score threshold. 

On 9/9/2021 at 9:05 PM, JDB91 said:

Yes, for those whom met the file score threshold. 

I was 5.205 and so far I haven’t heard anything. They said not to worry if you haven’t heard however because faculty is busy putting everything together. Do you all think this something I should be worried about though since they are reviewing 5.0 scores now? 

From what I understand, you don't need to be worried at this point. I hear they review down the row of scores but will always tell you if you're encouraged to apply again next year or if you get an interview. I received my file score which was a lot like yours, and then around 8/31 I received an email saying "your file is currently being reviewed; we'll notify you in 3 weeks of an interview request or if you've been rejected".  That wasn't the wording, but that was the gist of it. Curious to know if others have interviews yet!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bambs said:

I received an e-mail on September 9 that it was 5.0 or higher!

I was emailing them about other things today and I asked as well. Kit said that the admission team has not had time to discuss what file score they are reviewing.

Sounds like they aren't in a hurry so patience is key (and nerve wracking!) 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest anonRAM2023

Received an email for an interview invite, but was not provided a date. How long did it take to get the phone call to schedule and what were the date options? I'm trying to get an idea of the timeline and work around my upcoming vacay.

2 hours ago, JDB91 said:

Received an email for an interview invite, but was not provided a date. How long did it take to get the phone call to schedule and what were the date options? I'm trying to get an idea of the timeline and work around my upcoming vacay.

They provided me with multiple dates and will work with your schedule. It took about 3 weeks to receive the phone call from the initial email to schedule an interview.

Guest anonRAM2023
53 minutes ago, TimmyTom420 said:

They provided me with multiple dates and will work with your schedule. It took about 3 weeks to receive the phone call from the initial email to schedule an interview.

Appreciate it! Have you had your interview yet? And any mention of when they make decisions on acceptance/waitlist? 

edited for grammar 

Edited by JDB91

14 hours ago, JDB91 said:

I received the email 9/28 and got the call to schedule on 10/1! They gave me 1 option for every week of October, so I think they have a lot of options. They will work with your schedule for sure, they even made sure my interview would be around lunch time in my time zone. Most of the options they gave me were Wednesdays or Thursdays

17 hours ago, InvestedforPA said:

For those of you who have already interviewed, has anyone received a finished ranking? I saw that last year they did it out of 11 points total and I'm wondering if it's still the same this year? 

Would also be curious to know what some of those final scores are if anyone feels comfortable sharing what they got. 🙂

They do give out rankings- I got mine about 24 hours after my interview. I’m at a high 9. They will start offering seats in November. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interview went great! I enjoyed speaking with the faculty they had perform the interviews. A lot. It was also fun to watch part of a live lecture as well. In terms of rankings: They are using the 11 point scale (6 for initial file score, 1 for mission score, and 4 for interview). You get your total point score a few days after interviewing. Once they have a large enough sample of interviews (I think they said around 50?) which should be around mid-November, they will officially rank applicants and will immediately offer seats to the top 25% of applicants which is the earliest round they'd offer a seat to anyone. The remainder will receive seat offers later, although I can't remember when (January?), it's after most of their interviews have happened. Applicants can receive an offer as late as July even, as they go into the cycle of offering seats, waiting for students to accept, then offering again, and also offering yet again as students who accepted later drop out. I was a little unsure how I felt about the process at first, but I see the wisdom in it. Once everyone is ranked, they make the offers but then it's up to students to accept/reject/dropout before they'll offer another seat, as to not oversubscribe the class. Makes sense, although it means you might get an offer late in the cycle. One of the students we spoke with received her offer less than a week before the 1st day of class! I'm sure it was because another student dropped out a week before, so good on ISU for not freezing out the seat and at least giving someone a chance (in this case, the applicant accepted and rush-moved 3 states over to get in - but was grateful to get into a program). Good luck everyone!

Edited by fran4383

ISU is interesting with the file score. I agree with you Ocean that it is odd in a way, however every school has a similar system of combining parts of an application to rank candidates. What makes ISU different is that they are completely transparent about it. I haven't seen a single other program be as transparent about how candidates are evaluated and ranked.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, InvestedforPA said:

I was told at my interview a week ago that the second week of November (Nov 10th) is when they expect to start making some decisions for their early seat offers. Has anyone else heard differently? 😬

I'm sitting with a 9.4, hoping to at least find out how high some of the final rankings are looking. 

I was told at my interview about a month ago that Nov 10 they should have some decisions! I hope we hear something today 😬 best of luck!!!

1 minute ago, fran4383 said:

Kalyssa, did you interview on national PA day with only 1 other student, a guy, in the interview group? High 9's score; that's awesome, I'm sure it'll be enough for you to get a seat.

I interviewed on 10/7- I think there was six of us total? And yes, crossing my fingers they’ll lower the threshold once they have more interviews done. 

Does anyone know how it works from here on out? Will they lower the threshold periodically to offer more seats as they do interviews, or do they only lower it when they make final seat offers/waitlist offers at the end of the interview cycle? I have a 9.9, a little part of me died inside seeing that threshold 😅🥲

Edited by bambs
  • Like 1

Kalyssa - I interviewed the day before, on 10/6, but there was only one other hopeful in the interview. The timing of your responses made me think, perhaps, it was you. Well good luck to you!! Sounds like you've got a strong score, I'm sure you'll get in!

Bambs: I don't know the answer for certain, but I recall a few things from the admin discussion during the interview. The initial seat offers were to the upper quartile and they will have a couple of weeks to accept (first week of Dec?). As more interviews happen, if their scores fall above the upper quartile threshold they will also get seats offered right away. If they do not have enough early seats being accepted, they may move that number down to make more early offers (something like that; can't quite recall). Otherwise, applicants will receive offers at the formal "offer time" of early February, I believe (I think I saw that on Moodle somewhere, or an email). One thing I know FOR SURE: Kit said during the interview that as of right now (ie after the total scores are ranked) you can email her and request your rank number (not file score, but actual rank). If you're at the top or close to it (which I'm sure you will be at a 9.9), then you're quite assured to get an offer when interviews close in Jan/Feb. I think she'd even update you late December after even more interviews have come and gone, to make sure you're still in a strong position. Don't know if that helps, but good luck! (I bet I'll see you next August!)

Edited by fran4383
  • Like 2

Reached out to them earlier, here's what I know:

As it was mentioned, early seat offers are at 10.050. There are currently 16 outstanding seat offers, with 35 applicants in the In Review list. You can reach out to them and find out where you actually sit out of those 35. That number will grow as they do more interviews so you can continually reach out to them and see where you are throughout the cycle. Their goal is to offer 2/3 of the total seats (48 of the 72) during interviews. Mid-February is the tentative schedule to have all interviews done. They also stated that they anticipate on evaluating the early seat offer threshold sometime in January to potentially lower it if needed so they can keep pace of offering 2/3 of the seats. If it does get lowered and your ranking now qualifies, they'll offer you a seat.

Hope that helps! Happy waiting (still) for everyone! 😬

• Like 2