Have 5 years active duty, looking at the VA, question about FERS.

I was talking to someone about military service, and then working for the Federal government.  The person I was talking to was under the impression that you could take the years of active duty service and apply it to FERS (Federal retirement) and it would be like the military retirement.  Example:  5 years active duty Military service --> get out and serve 15 years VA = a retirement like 20 years military service.  I think that is wrong from my google searches.   It looks like military service can help your  FERS retirement but only being in the military for 20 years gets you a military type retirement.   

Me personally I have 5 years of active duty service (+6 yrs National Guard) in the military.  I was looking at the VA as the next career location.  If I go VA and serve a few years and don't like it (maybe I love it and stay), could I use my 5 years active duty and the time I serve in the VA to get a little bit of retirement when I reach the retirement age?  If I leave before retirement age do I wait to collect until the retirement age is met, or is it all lost?  

I was hoping someone could help. I was also wondering about the medical benefits after retirement... but that is a different question.  

Thanks

This is somewhat of a complicated and nuanced question but I will do my best to answer. I was also active duty, then guard, and also a civilian government employee. So for the 5 yrs active duty you have if you were to accept a position at the VA (or any other government position) you can essentially "buy" back your military service. There are a few forms to fill out and DFAS calculates how much you have to pay in order to apply that military service towards a FERS retirement. I want to say when I did it the rate was like 3% of base pay only times yrs of service but don't quote me. In order to be "vested" you must have 5 or more years of government service so if you bought back your time and say worked at the VA for 5 additional years when you reached federal retirement age (59.5) you would receive an annuity as if you retired with 10 yrs service.

You CANNOT apply civilian service time towards a military retirement. But based on you saying you have a combined 11 yrs of military service (I realize 6 years was national guard) then it would be in your best interest to perform another 9 years in the guard so that you reach 20 years of military service and receive a retirement at age 60. 

Imagine if you received two different retirement annuities at age 60 one for military, one for civilian service. Combine this with an employer 401K and military TSP and you'd be set for retirement!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 7:28 AM, HoosierPAS said:

This is somewhat of a complicated and nuanced question but I will do my best to answer. I was also active duty, then guard, and also a civilian government employee. So for the 5 yrs active duty you have if you were to accept a position at the VA (or any other government position) you can essentially "buy" back your military service. There are a few forms to fill out and DFAS calculates how much you have to pay in order to apply that military service towards a FERS retirement. I want to say when I did it the rate was like 3% of base pay only times yrs of service but don't quote me. In order to be "vested" you must have 5 or more years of government service so if you bought back your time and say worked at the VA for 5 additional years when you reached federal retirement age (59.5) you would receive an annuity as if you retired with 10 yrs service.

You CANNOT apply civilian service time towards a military retirement. But based on you saying you have a combined 11 yrs of military service (I realize 6 years was national guard) then it would be in your best interest to perform another 9 years in the guard so that you reach 20 years of military service and receive a retirement at age 60. 

Imagine if you received two different retirement annuities at age 60 one for military, one for civilian service. Combine this with an employer 401K and military TSP and you'd be set for retirement!

I say you can  go back to the Guard or USAR to get your 20 year letter, and still use your AD time in the Federal system as a civilian. BTW if you want to get your 20 year letter while avoiding the drills and AT go into the IRR . DM me and I'll fill you in.