Any EMS PAs?

I am a PA-S who is very interested in working Pre-hospital with an EMS organization in GA. I have spoken with the state EMS agency and they showed me a law that allows Paramedics to practice at an increased scope when they have a higher licensure. Does anyone use this law to provide care to the underserved in GA? 

• Upvote 1

Take into account the agency-specific medical director is the one who ultimately determines whether this is implemented. From what articles I've seen on ALS services using APPs, a big part of their service is not necessarily delivering care to the underserved but triaging and potentially deflecting frequent flyer visits.

At the same time, being a PA in the field isn't necessarily going to result a first responder who is doing more than a medic. Algorithms generally work, and it's potentially a waste of your time going through school to end up doing the same work as a medic.

Disclosure: I'm not in Georgia.

• Upvote 1

SEMPA (Society of Emergency Medicine PA's) has an EMS group that is looking at this.  There's basically 3 areas:

• Using PA's in EMS response to manage the "frequent flyers" and reduce transports to the ED.  NP's tend to be more common due to supervisory requirements.
  • Using PA's for expanded field interventions for critical patients.  This is most often seen in flight agencies.  However, as above NP's tend to be more common.
  • Using PA's to provide online and offline medical direction.

This year's SEMPA conference had a round table discussion with a number of PA's who are involved in EMS.

I still run a bit as a FF/medic.  I don't have a formally expanded role - I just am given informal leeway by my dept's medical director to bend the protocol somewhat.

• Upvote 1