Disappointed in UTMB open house, Please help!!!

UTMB is nationally ranked and on top of that it is near my home so it is my top choice. However, I went to one of the open houses and my excitement definitely took a hit. There was no tour and I really wasn't impressed with the facilities just walking around on my own. Can someone who has attended UTMB please bring me back up to being excited about UTMB?!?! Tell me that I just didn't look down the right hallway....How many classrooms are there, any labs?

Hey, just wanted to share (even though my school is far from Texas!) - I was very disappointed when I went to my open house. I was bummed out about the way that the campus looked, and the presenter was not very nice or encouraging. I knew though, that it was an awesome school, convenient to home, very well respected and with excellent clinical experiences, and THAT is what's important. Now, I love my school, but even if I didn't, who cares? Just remember, it's two years and then you'll get to be a PA! Eyes on the prize :heheh:

• 2 weeks later...

The point of the open house is more for potential students to understand what the program is about. If you go to more than one open house you will see a difference in what the PA programs are looking for; ex: UTHSCSA is looking for students who will work in under served areas and the valley after graduation, UTMB is looking for quality grades experience and character- someone who fits the PA profile, UTSW is more GPA and experience oriented, UTPA has similar goals as UTHSCSA. The open house I went to before I was accepted was in one of the PA labs, they have state of the art simulation equipment and all the perks of being part of a medical school in the UT system. The PA offices and labs are on the 2nd/3rd floors and the main lecture halls 'the quads' are on the first floor and seat 90 students comfortably. There are 89 students in our class right now. Our anatomy lab is in a different building, we do have cadavers- which is a luxury that not all PA programs have. In our class the 89 students are together for the main lecture but are divided up for some of the labs, it gives us a smaller student: faculty ratio. If you're interested in the campus you can always check out Old Red which has been restored since Ike. UTMB students consistently score above the national average on the PANCE because our faculty rocks..UTMB's PA program was established in 1971 so they have had plenty of time to fine tune it. Just remember, the best PA program is the one that accepts you.

The point of the open house is more for potential students to understand what the program is about. If you go to more than one open house you will see a difference in what the PA programs are looking for; ex: UTHSCSA is looking for students who will work in under served areas and the valley after graduation, UTMB is looking for quality grades experience and character- someone who fits the PA profile, UTSW is more GPA and experience oriented, UTPA has similar goals as UTHSCSA. The open house I went to before I was accepted was in one of the PA labs, they have state of the art simulation equipment and all the perks of being part of a medical school in the UT system. The PA offices and labs are on the 2nd/3rd floors and the main lecture halls 'the quads' are on the first floor and seat 90 students comfortably. There are 89 students in our class right now. Our anatomy lab is in a different building, we do have cadavers- which is a luxury that not all PA programs have. In our class the 89 students are together for the main lecture but are divided up for some of the labs, it gives us a smaller student: faculty ratio. If you're interested in the campus you can always check out Old Red which has been restored since Ike. UTMB students consistently score above the national average on the PANCE because our faculty rocks..UTMB's PA program was established in 1971 so they have had plenty of time to fine tune it. Just remember, the best PA program is the one that accepts you.

Thank you so much for replying as a student of UTMB. I searched the boards more about UTMB after my post and read about the cadaver labs. For some reason that small piece of information really eased my mind. The greater in depth I searched the more excited and anxious to get in I've become!

Archived