What the program really like

Been practicing 12 years and looking to go back for a doctorate. Been looking at online programs and considering rocky mountain or the Massachusetts college one. But I'm open to suggestions. But nothing I read really explains what these online programs entail. I've got 2 little ones at home and my wife is a full time college student. I usually come home, work out, and then do what I can with the kids/house to give her time for her studies. While there is still time for me to fit in school again I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. Especially as an online program. Also what are these projects they all want you to complete? Just trying to go into this as prepared possible so I know what I'm getting into. Thanks

I went to Rocky Mountain for my Master's. Reach out to Heather, she's in charge of the doctorate and I bet would be happy to give you more detailed info, you can find her contact info on the website. I talked to her about a year ago and she said making it accessible to those working FT +/- a family was her goal when she started developing it. I'm not sure what the project fully entails.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you talking Rocky Mountain College or Rocky Mountain University? Both have DMSc programs. College is pretty focused on rural clinical practice. I’m currently in my first semester at University in the education track (they also have leadership and clinical practice tracks). I wasn’t interest in the DMS programs because they spend a lot of credit hours on family medicine/primary care system-based didactics, and I practice in critical care. The RMU program is completely asynchronous, which works well for my weird night shift schedule. I’m currently taking medical/scientific writing and evidence-based practice (Aka how to read papers and how to write papers). In order to graduate, I need to produce a scholarly project (something I could publish) and an educational practicum (which I intend to finish out by basically building a residency curriculum). I chose the program because it had what I felt was the least number of classes irrelevant to my goals (hard pass on community health, global health, aging, etc — though I’m sure those classes would be very interesting and relevant to many of my colleagues).

• 8 months later...

I attended Rocky Mountain College for my masters and my doctorate. The program is heavy on theory. It involves mostly reading prompts and making responses online using sources from peer reviewed journals to support your point. There are some other various projects and papers as well. I was able to write and submit a paper for publication as well. It was great and I would recommend the program. Professors are helpful and attentive. It’s small and new, (doctorate) and therefore they are focused on your success as it is tied closely to theirs. If you have other questions I am happy to discuss more or offer more details. Contact@everything-pa.com. 

also, a cool final project motivated me to start a podcast. If you’re interested check me out at everything-pa.com for more information.  Good luck!