New grad salary for orthopedic surgery in California

So I have an upcoming interview for an ortho surgery position in my hometown in California. When I spoke on the phone with the prospective employer to briefly discuss the position and coordinate an interview date, the position got me thinking about salary negotiations. Unfortunately this is something my school did not go over, and I don't want to look like a fool and jeopardize my chances of getting hired by aiming too high or too low if they do discuss this with me during my interview. On the phone the prospective employer sounded interested in having me as I am a local applicant and can start immediately. Position is full time, 4 days a week (2 OR days, 2 clinic days) for 10 hour shifts. I have looked at the AAPA 2020 Salary Report, but it doesn't provide information for State, Specialty, and # of Years Experience, and those salary ranges vary widely when comparing everything between national and state averages. I feel silly just posting this as I feel like this is something I should be able to figure out, but I appreciate any advice or help.

Hi there! I'm a CA native! I'm a new grad as well living in San Diego. I recently accepted a position and interviewed in a lot of different specialties. I have thoroughly read and reviewed the Salary Report too, and it seems for a new grad in a surgical speciality the 50th percentile salary sweet spot is 120k, about 60/hr. Depending where you are living and cost of living, that is a more than fair wage. In my interviews, I have used the AAPA to use as leverage with pay and it didn't seem to raise any eyebrows with interviewers. I have found they have a number in mind they want to pay and there isn't much negotiation available from there. Just keep that in mind. 

Hopefully this helps! Good Luck! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mtorr_ca said:

Hi there! I'm a CA native! I'm a new grad as well living in San Diego. I recently accepted a position and interviewed in a lot of different specialties. I have thoroughly read and reviewed the Salary Report too, and it seems for a new grad in a surgical speciality the 50th percentile salary sweet spot is 120k, about 60/hr. Depending where you are living and cost of living, that is a more than fair wage. In my interviews, I have used the AAPA to use as leverage with pay and it didn't seem to raise any eyebrows with interviewers. I have found they have a number in mind they want to pay and there isn't much negotiation available from there. Just keep that in mind. 

Hopefully this helps! Good Luck! 

Thank you this does help! Unfortunately the job ad didn't post the projected salary ranges, so having a range in support of the AAPA Salary report (and your reply) is helpful for the interview!