2021-2022 Application Cycle

I will  have my interview on October 22nd and it says on the invitation there is going to be 3 different session 2 online 1 in person? Whoever got accepted to the program have you guys gone through that? I am just a bit confused.And also CONGRATS!! to whoever got already accepted ! I am sure it is a big relief after long process!!!! Good luck!

Edited by syrmd

1 hour ago, syrmd said:

I will  have my interview on October 22nd and it says on the invitation there is going to be 3 different session 2 online 1 in person? Whoever got accepted to the program have you guys gone through that? I am just a bit confused.And also CONGRATS!! to whoever got already accepted ! I am sure it is a big relief after long process!!!! Good luck!

I did the online interview since I’m 4 hours away in NYC. It was 2 interviews, 25 minutes each with 2 different interviewers. & Good luck!!! It’s the best feeling when all the suffering as a pre-PA finally pays off. 😂

7 minutes ago, cc1231 said:

I did the online interview since I’m 4 hours away in NYC. It was 2 interviews, 25 minutes each with 2 different interviewers. & Good luck!!! It’s the best feeling when all the suffering as a pre-PA finally pays off. 😂

So you got only 2 online interviews and were they on the same day with no 3rd traditional interview?I live 6 hours away and i just want to make sure all the interviews are not in the same day especially the traditional( i am not sure what traditional means.I am just guessing in person)

Edited by syrmd

1 minute ago, syrmd said:

So you got only 2 online interviews and were they on the same day with no 3rd traditional interview?I live 6 hours away and i just want to make sure all the interviews are not in the same day especially the traditional( i am not sure that means in person)

It was fully online and were on the same day right after another with no in person interview. 

9 minutes ago, cc1231 said:

And CONGRATS again:) I am sure it is an awesome feeling!!!

Hello y'all, 

I am a current first year student at Upstate. Congratulation to everyone accepted! I will probably meet you at orientation 🙂 . Feel free to ask me any question about Upstate! I will add that some people in my class did not hear about their decision (accepted or declined) until a month after they interviewed. I know some of you are in that boat. 

Good luck! 

On 9/28/2021 at 8:36 AM, Nate28 said:

Hello y'all, 

I am a current first year student at Upstate. Congratulation to everyone accepted! I will probably meet you at orientation 🙂 . Feel free to ask me any question about Upstate! I will add that some people in my class did not hear about their decision (accepted or declined) until a month after they interviewed. I know some of you are in that boat. 

Good luck! 

Hi Nate! Thanks for reaching out. Can’t wait to meet everyone at orientation. 🙂 I do have some questions. Does Upstate require business casual dress code to go to class? I know some other programs in the NYC area do. Also how many pairs of scrubs do you recommend? Are there any scrubs colors some rotations don’t allow? What has been your studying technique? Typing study guides or just writing by hand on an iPad, etc.?

Anyone who has been accepted - wondering how much the seat deposit is?

I was actually accepted but my acceptance letter is addressed to someone else and appears to be someone in the medical program rather than the PA program. I have reached out to the program regarding this but haven't heard back. However, I got another email today about my acceptance and paying the deposit to reserve my spot. Just looking for a number before I pay it especially if I am unable to review a correct acceptance letter prior to paying.

Thanks!

On 10/1/2021 at 1:53 PM, cc1231 said:

Hi Nate! Thanks for reaching out. Can’t wait to meet everyone at orientation. 🙂 I do have some questions. Does Upstate require business casual dress code to go to class? I know some other programs in the NYC area do. Also how many pairs of scrubs do you recommend? Are there any scrubs colors some rotations don’t allow? What has been your studying technique? Typing study guides or just writing by hand on an iPad, etc.?

Hello! 

Yes, Upstate does have a business casual dress code for all classes. Our class made casual Fridays by turning it into a fundraiser, each Friday is one dollar towards a charity. You will need Scrubs for Anatomy lab in the First semester. They are only required for that class. I would suggest getting a very cheap pair because the Formaldehyde smells seems to never leave lol. As for the scrub colors..... I have no clue since I'm only in S1, not S2. 

Tablets are a god send. For Anatomy I used One note for everything and made Anki cards based on the material. Now that I'm in didactic year I've changed my study strategy a lot. I do Anki cards for all the important classes and then use Pance Prep Pearls for gen med (hardest class). I would definitely suggest getting a tablet or a laptop with a screen you can write on. Pretty much everyone has ended up buying one in my class. I have a lot of pre made study material that Ill give someone in your class when the semester starts 🙂

Remember to relax while you have the time! 

On 10/4/2021 at 7:23 AM, Nate28 said:

Hello! 

Yes, Upstate does have a business casual dress code for all classes. Our class made casual Fridays by turning it into a fundraiser, each Friday is one dollar towards a charity. You will need Scrubs for Anatomy lab in the First semester. They are only required for that class. I would suggest getting a very cheap pair because the Formaldehyde smells seems to never leave lol. As for the scrub colors..... I have no clue since I'm only in S1, not S2. 

Tablets are a god send. For Anatomy I used One note for everything and made Anki cards based on the material. Now that I'm in didactic year I've changed my study strategy a lot. I do Anki cards for all the important classes and then use Pance Prep Pearls for gen med (hardest class). I would definitely suggest getting a tablet or a laptop with a screen you can write on. Pretty much everyone has ended up buying one in my class. I have a lot of pre made study material that Ill give someone in your class when the semester starts 🙂

Remember to relax while you have the time! 

You are a literal godsend, I can already see how Upstate is a collaborative environment rather than a competitive one. Thanks for all the information, it’s really helpful to know. Are you able to send the study guides to my email (cc12311997@gmail.com) so I can distribute them to my fellow incoming class and let them know you passed it on? It’s totally fine if you feel more comfortable doing so in person during orientation. You’re already going out of your way for us. 

Will definitely keep some cheap scrubs on hand too. 😂 I’ve heard about the formaldehyde from other upperclassmen. Thank you again for everything! 

On 10/6/2021 at 12:34 PM, cc1231 said:

You are a literal godsend, I can already see how Upstate is a collaborative environment rather than a competitive one. Thanks for all the information, it’s really helpful to know. Are you able to send the study guides to my email (cc12311997@gmail.com) so I can distribute them to my fellow incoming class and let them know you passed it on? It’s totally fine if you feel more comfortable doing so in person during orientation. You’re already going out of your way for us. 

Will definitely keep some cheap scrubs on hand too. 😂 I’ve heard about the formaldehyde from other upperclassmen. Thank you again for everything! 

Hello, 

Yeah, all the competition falls off after the first week lol. People realize pretty quick that their biggest asset is other students. The faculty really encourages it too. I will make it all organized and neat this spring, when you will be starting. That way I have all of the material for you guys. I also have PDFs of all the textbooks so please don't buy them haha. 

7 minutes ago, Nate28 said:

Hello, 

Yeah, all the competition falls off after the first week lol. People realize pretty quick that their biggest asset is other students. The faculty really encourages it too. I will make it all organized and neat this spring, when you will be starting. That way I have all of the material for you guys. I also have PDFs of all the textbooks so please don't buy them haha. 

All the textbooks too. Yassss, that’s another $500 saved. 😂 I also think it’s the most efficient when people work together. Thank you Nate, I’ll keep an eye out for you or DM you when it gets closer to next June!

- Christine 

My application is SUBMITTED.

Planned on applying in Sept but broke my finger (like, surgery-level broke it) and had to put off the GRE until mid Oct. 

BUT. ITS OFFICIAL . IT IS DONE. Might be too late to even get a spot but I'm crossing my fingers. 

Any advice on interviewing? In case I actually get on? 

4 hours ago, gabmar said:

Just got an interview for 11/18!! My first interview ever this cycle!

I know there are 2 interviews, both 25 minutes each, are they back to back or do you have to sort of get through the first one and get an email to sign up for the second?

Congrats! You got this, it must be so exciting for have that first interview. It’s 2 interviews back to back and you’re automatically sent to your   second breakout room by the moderator. DM me if you have any other questions!

On 11/1/2021 at 8:58 AM, gabmar said:

Just got an interview for 11/18!! My first interview ever this cycle!

I know there are 2 interviews, both 25 minutes each, are they back to back or do you have to sort of get through the first one and get an email to sign up for the second?

Hi there! CONGRATS AND HOORAY!! 

Can I ask when you submitted your app?

GOOD LUCK!!

Edited by camcq