Straightforward PS. Please critique!

I have noticed a lot of PS with great background stories, but I just wanted to get to the point and sell myself and let them know why I will be a good PA. Please let me know if I should add anything else!

Medicine is such a universal subject as it affects everyone. Those in the medical field are constantly challenged throughout their career; gaining knowledge, learning about new medical advancements, interacting with people, and perfecting their craft. These aspects about medicine are what motivated me to pursue a life long career in medicine. I became more impressed by medicine during my internship at the Heart Beat Clinic (HBC) as a research assistant for Dr. Ishan Adhikari. This position allowed me to understand the cause and effect of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS), and the methods to test for symptoms associated with POTS. Eventually, I was able to perform the Autonomic function tests, and acquire the ability to understand the scientific reasoning for each test while being able to explain the test in a language easily understood by patients. These experience gained at the HBC will be instrumental in my future career as a physician assistant (PA).

During college, I was involved in several activities that helped me develop teamwork and leadership. My involvement in the men’s tennis team at Howard Payne University taught me to work with people from diverse background, and to understand that no role is above another. Serving as vice-president of the student body allowed me to practice leadership qualities. This position carried great responsibility, which included the oversight of many projects, such as amending school dancing policy and improving cafeteria menus. My involvement with Big Brother Big Sister showed me the detrimental effects of a broken family, and it helped me learn to show compassion for the underprivileged. Volunteering at the Song Bird Nursing home helped me to realize the importance of listening and caring for patients in healthcare settings.

The HBC clinic is specialized in cardiology, and included nurses, medical assistants, electrophysiology technicians, and doctors. I was able to observe every position and understand how unique each one was. But my curiosity about PA led me to shadow for Dr. Champine and his PA, Mr. Darren Hughes. In the surgery room, I was able to observe several minimal invasive hip and knee replacement surgeries, and was able to witness the teamwork demonstrated by Dr. Champine and Mr. Hughes. During a partial knee replacement, their interaction showed me how valuable the PA position was to a medical doctor. Mr. Hughes was involved throughout the surgery, from prepping the surgical segment to assisting in the removal of damaged bone of the knee joint, and replacing it with prosthesis, and later stitching the incision. In the clinical setting, I saw how to talk with each patient, and how to ease pre-surgical anxieties. He also demonstrated how genuine care shown towards each patient played a role in the recovery process. The PA profession also required superior communication skills, creative problem solving, extensive knowledge of the human anatomy, and great teamwork. It is a very flexible career, having several specialties in the medical field and opportunities to change them in the future, along with the ability to have a healthy balance between a career and family life. When looking at a healthcare position, this career emerged as a perfect fit for me.

After my internship at the HBC, the quality of my performance was rewarded when Dr. Suleman hired me as a medical tech, and gave me new tests to perform. I am currently in charge of monitoring the External Counterpulsation (ECP) treatment, performing Videonystagmography (VNG) test and assisting with the Autonomic function tests. This experience has cemented my desire in becoming a PA as it exposed me to the challenges of the medical field, and how much fun it was in teaching and explaining to each patient. With these abilities and experience, I am a perfect candidate for PA school, and hope to use my education to make a positive impact in the medical world.

This essay sounds like a list of your qualifications or an elaboration of your resume. You want to capture the reader, tell a story, and get them involved. A very good thing that you did is elaborate on WHY you want to become a PA and the reasons are very strong. You have a good essay, so i would say just revise a little and change the tone of the essay. For your conclusion, i would remove your current job and duties; you want to talk about your future and what becoming a PA means to you. Hope i said something useful. Good luck!

Archived