New grad CV surg job offers - which to choose? Advice please

** I am actually a member of this forum, but am posting anonymously to preserve the privacy of all parties involved during contract negotiations**

Hello. I am a new grad who is trying to decide between 2 different job offers, and would like the input of some senior surgical PAs as to which might be the best position for a single, new grad to take.

The details:

Both positions are in CV/T surg

Position/offer "A"

- located in a small college town, next major metropolitan city is approx 1-1.5h away

- Majority of time will be spent in one hospital, but will be credentialed to work in several

- Private hospital, team consists of 3 surgeons and 2 other PAs, no residents or fellows

- No transplants, no assist device cases, no TAVR, no robotics

- 80-90% 1st assisting & EVH, 10-20% floor work. Includes both thoracic and cardiac cases, occasional CT trauma.

- Position is salaried, hours are M-F with required weekend & night call TBD

- no extra call pay

-$1750 CME/yr plus all lisc & recert fees paid, 8 paid holidays, 4 wks vacation & sick time

- relocation assistance is available

- cost of living is low

- social and cultural activities in the town are modest

Position/offer "B"

- located in a major metropolitan city

- Highly prestigious teaching hospital affiliated with well-known university

- team consists of a dozen PAs, 8+ surgeons, numerous fellows, etc.

- cardiac cases ONLY, 1500+ cases each year.

- transplant/assist device center, robotics program, TAVR & min. invasive program,

- position would be 3 12h shifts/wk, variably divided between coverage of the "step-down" unit and assisting the fellows with opening & closing in the OR & EVH.

- Wkend & holiday OR call is compensated extra above salary, with 4h min paid regardless of how long you have to come in.

- NO relocation assistance is available

- $1500 + 5 paid days CME per yr, 9 paid holidays, 5+ weeks vacation & sick time

- Cost of living is extremely high

- social and cultural activities in the town are among the best in the nation

Thoughts everyone?

Thanks

This is an interesting post to see differences in practices. I am not sure that anyone can help you make this decision. There are so many factors that are personal to you. There are many factors that are specific to the teams that you will be joining. My best advice involves you talking to PAs in those practices to see if they are on a team that you would like to join. It is also important to know if they are interested training a new grad or will grudginly accept that they have to train a new grad. There is alot to learn in both settings. Good luck.

I will defer to Yogi Berra who said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

I work in a teaching hospital with loads of residents and fellows. I have talked with some of the PAs both in my department (surgical) and other departments that are also surgical. Many of them are frustrated by the fact that the residents are given a lot of the work that the PAs want to be doing. One of the PAs I know does strictly pre and post op work. This PA does not see the inside of an OR, and does not participate in any bedside procedures. I cannot say that it is this way in all of the teaching hospitals. I can say that it is totally up to you and what your preferences are. If you are going into surgery because you want to do floor work and discharges then I would say the teaching hospital is probably going to be a better fit for you. If you are wanting the opportunity to do first-assisting, bedside procedures, and get to see some of the more difficult cases, the rural hospital is most likely going to be a better fit. But this is strictly coming from my limited exposure.

** I am actually a member of this forum, but am posting anonymously to preserve the privacy of all parties involved during contract negotiations**

Hello. I am a new grad who is trying to decide between 2 different job offers, and would like the input of some senior surgical PAs as to which might be the best position for a single, new grad to take.

The details:

Both positions are in CV/T surg

Position/offer "A"

- located in a small college town, next major metropolitan city is approx 1-1.5h away

- Majority of time will be spent in one hospital, but will be credentialed to work in several

- Private hospital, team consists of 3 surgeons and 2 other PAs, no residents or fellows

- No transplants, no assist device cases, no TAVR, no robotics

- 80-90% 1st assisting & EVH, 10-20% floor work. Includes both thoracic and cardiac cases, occasional CT trauma.

- Position is salaried, hours are M-F with required weekend & night call TBD

- no extra call pay

-$1750 CME/yr plus all lisc & recert fees paid, 8 paid holidays, 4 wks vacation & sick time

- relocation assistance is available

- cost of living is low

- social and cultural activities in the town are modest

Position/offer "B"

- located in a major metropolitan city

- Highly prestigious teaching hospital affiliated with well-known university

- team consists of a dozen PAs, 8+ surgeons, numerous fellows, etc.

- cardiac cases ONLY, 1500+ cases each year.

- transplant/assist device center, robotics program, TAVR & min. invasive program,

- position would be 3 12h shifts/wk, variably divided between coverage of the "step-down" unit and assisting the fellows with opening & closing in the OR & EVH.

- Wkend & holiday OR call is compensated extra above salary, with 4h min paid regardless of how long you have to come in.

- NO relocation assistance is available

- $1500 + 5 paid days CME per yr, 9 paid holidays, 5+ weeks vacation & sick time

- Cost of living is extremely high

- social and cultural activities in the town are among the best in the nation

Thoughts everyone?

Thanks

Each job offers advantages. In the long run you want to be a competent CV PA- handle the OR, ICU, floor, and clinic. It is also useful to have a broad exposure to different cases and techniques. Even if you never do another VAD,txp again it is valuable experience down the road.

I would treat this like your residency period, and it sound like job B offers that environment. You will not do as much due to fellows being present, but you will be suurounded by a high work load, high acuity, and broad range of cases. My plan would be to do this job for 2 yrs and then readdress; you can then parlay your new experience into a job like job A and perhaps command a higher salary, and walk in the door with skills and confidence.

Archived