Preventive Medicine vs. PA school + MPH

Hello,

I am an undergraduate student, a junior specifically. I have been deciding/battling with the big question: What is it that I want to do with my life? After going on a medical mission trip to Nicaragua, and studying abroad in Honduras this past summer, I have no doubt in my mind that I want a job where I can change the world, particularly in health care. I've always wanted a job where traveling was a component in the career along with humanitarian efforts. I have been debating between Physician Assistant school as well as becoming a doctor, but the answer isn't clear to me yet.

I met one girl who will be attending medical school this upcoming Fall, and she told me how there was a residency called Preventive Medicine. I was immediately interested. She mentioned it briefly, but I began to do further research on my own and had some unanswered questions.

Being a student who is debating between two professions, I want to try and make the right choice. What are the job opportunities like for Preventive Medicine physicians? How is the job security? I would love to teach in academia, research, help organize NGOs/support NGOs, and volunteer for extended periods of time outside of the country. Would this be possible with Preventive Medicine? If I did a combined dual degree program with a Masters in Public Health along with a Physician Assistant degree, would I be able to do the same type of work? The reason I ask is because if there is an alternate, shorter route to do what I love then I would take that route to get into the working world faster!

If you want to do research and international work, go the MD route. You can do lots of interesting work while in med school, including during the summer between 1/2 years. You could also do an MPH while in med school (or after). International law is more restrictive for PAs, as are the research opportunities (PAs are trained for clinical work, not so much for research).

Don't shortcut to get where you want to go. The journey is part of it. And if you are traditional college student (ie in your early 20's), you have plenty of time.

Read more of the posts in this forum to find out how people made the decision to do what they are doing.

If you want to do research and international work, go the MD route. You can do lots of interesting work while in med school, including during the summer between 1/2 years. You could also do an MPH while in med school (or after). International law is more restrictive for PAs, as are the research opportunities (PAs are trained for clinical work, not so much for research).

Don't shortcut to get where you want to go. The journey is part of it. And if you are traditional college student (ie in your early 20's), you have plenty of time.

Read more of the posts in this forum to find out how people made the decision to do what they are doing.

MD's aren't trained for research either.....although they think they are. The good ones know their limitations.

Most MD's who actually do research have either a PhD, an MPH, or a MSc in addition to their MD. Now, there are of course exceptions to this, but by and large, physicians need extra training to do research as well.

Also, PA's aren't really restricted from conducting research as PI's either. Depends on the type of research in question and your experience. A PA will likely not get an RO1 NIH grant to study a new therapy or drug...but to be honest, most MD's who don't have a significant research background, and likely more training won't get it either.

PA's have traditionally shied away from research, but that doesn't indicate a limitation, but rather reduced demand secondary to an unknown variable. As PA's begin to transition into research careers (I know of at least a dozen PA's who spend at least 50% of their time doing research, and several who do it full time) this will begin to change.

Just for clarification.

Thank you both for your replies. I really appreciate the input. However, if I can get a MPH with the PA degree, would this still make it difficult to work with NGOs, teach, research, etc. etc.? When you say PAs are limited with international work, would getting an MPH facilitate the process of getting into international work?

When you say not to shortcut, I completely understand, but I am terrified of the commitment. Maybe I am naive and you both have more experience with this topic, but I am very scared of the length of schooling. Either I'd feel drained, too stressed, or I'd feel like my life flew by and I'm 30 and now it's finally time for me to have a solid job. This is why I was considering PA school because if I really wanted to teach, and if academia jobs require years of working experience, I wouldn't mind because during the years that I am working I will be making a lot of money and paying off my loans. I feel like with the shorter route I can take care of myself financially and still hopefully be able to do what I want. On the other hand, like you said with taking the shortcut route, I am scared that one day I will regret not going to medical school and getting the most out of my education.

Any thoughts?

md, mph is really the route of choice for doing international work. the md degree is recognized everywhere and gives instant respect. mph as well.

pa, mph or pa + lots of disaster/international experiences + a grad degree in global health(my pathway) looks like it will work too but definitely the long way there.

EMEDPA,

You are the perfect person I can talk to. How did you get to where you are today? Did you go to grad school after PA school? What made you decide you wanted to do grad school? Also you mentioned how you did a lot of international/disaster work. How did you do that? Was it an easy path? Are there alternative paths to take? Do you know of many pa/mph doing work internationally?

Also, can DOs do an MPH as well?

DO's can do an mph either with their program or later.

my path was this: emt-b in high school, er tech during college(medical anthropology major), paramedic school right after college then 5 yrs as a medic before becoming a pa. pa was bs #2 then did the nebraska postgrad ms program. lots of time working both urgent care and em in 3 states. went to Haiti with my state disaster medical team for a routine training in 2009. 6 months later the earthquake hit and a poster from here at the pa forum set me up with a friend of his on an international medical mission going back there. I have been a total of 5 times now most recently last month. I started a DHSc last year with a global health focus after deciding going back for an md/do probably wasn't in the cards. I have 3 yrs to go on that. may also do a 1 yr em residency after I am done with the doctorate. this gives me options for working anywhere clinically or in academics, here in the u.s. or overseas. I may work for the state dept or an ngo at some point. don't know yet. would also consider practice in canada, england, new zealand, africa, or elsewhere.

life is an adventure and I am just trying to enjoy 1 day at a time.

That sounds amazing. I want to be able to teach as a professor, but I would want to focus on Global Health/ Human Rights/ that kind of stuff. I like medicine, but I have other interests as well. Would it be possible to get a job as a professor with a PA degree? What kind of requirements do you need/is there job availability? What about with an MPH?

You also mentioned how you have the option to teach abroad. Is this because of your degree with a focus on Global Health? What is the demand like to teach abroad? I would absolutely love to go abroad and become a professor in something health care related as well.

Archived