quality of instructor/class for LOR?

hey all,

I'm planning on getting a LOR from my gen chem instructor for the gen chem class im (re)taking this summer session. I tried to get a hold of my instructor for my physio lab class I took last sem as a 1st choice, but he isn't answering my emails unfortunately. Do adcoms look at the quality/difficulty of the class you took when evaluating an academic LOR? Of course teachers you know on a personal basis for a longer time might have better LORs to show for it, but in general, would an adcom put more weight on an applicant with a physio LOR rather than a gen chem LOR? any input helps, thanks!

I don't think a gen chem vs. physiology professor would be a huge deal, especially if your gen chem prof is someone with whom you have interacted more recently. The gen chem prof can confirm your qualifications based on the present, rather than a year ago. I think if it were a Intro to Freshman Writing professor vs. a Analytical Chemistry professor, that would be a different scenario. Also, one of my advisers explained to me that even though she taught immunology at my school, she carried little professional weight because this was her first real job after her post-doc, whereas my gen chem prof was the head of a department, had many publications, etc. Sorry for the vague input, but I think in the grand scheme, you shouldn't sweat too much over it.

Archived