GRE percentiles changed since I submitted my CASPA application

This same thing happened to me. Even more frustrating is that I took the GRE before they changed the format. If you took the old test they convert your old scores to an estimated new score as if you had taken the new format. When I first took the exam my percentiles were not stellar or above 50% (except for writing), but the numerical score itself was above all the minimums (1000) I saw schools post on their websites. I felt the rest of my application was pretty strong and I decided not to retest. When I went to submit my GRE scores to schools, I was surprised to see how much the percentiles had changed/dropped! I called GRE/ETS and they told me they rescaled them on July 1st and do so periodically. If I had only known by the time I got around to sending them they would look as dismal as they do now in terms of percentiles I would have retested long ago!! Although both my CASPA GPAs are over 3.65 and I have 3500 hours of paid HCE I am worried it will blow my chances. To think one of them dropped 6% and the other 12% from the original percentiles is unreal. I am debating on what to do also as far as contacting schools or trying to retest. Any advice out there?? Do schools look more at the numerical score or the percentile??

This is happening to a lot of people so I'm sure all of the programs will be made aware of it through other applicants, but you should probably just let them know via e-mail. I actually almost submitted mine with higher percentiles listed (luckily I checked) and I wish I had sent my GRE scores earlier. They changed the percentiles this month so anyone who submitted in June or earlier will likely have this problem and that's going to be a lot of people so don't worry too much. I just wish I had sent mine in when they were higher and if I had who knows how big of a difference it could make. My guess, though, is that there are so many changes happening that the GRE probably won't be weighted heavily at most programs. A few though, like Idaho State, use GRE + prerequisite grades solely to determine if they even look at your application, which is why I'm upset with ETS. If I had known my percentiles would drop from the 60's into the 50's I would have taken it again like I initially planned. I don't think they ever let anyone know that those were tentative and upset a lot of people. Monopolies can get away with stuff like that unfortunately.

I spoke on the phone with Barry University's PA Admissions department about this issue today. The VERY kind woman on the phone informed me that they have their own concordance charts for percentage and actually focus on the total combined score more than the percentiles. This is just one example though, I am sure other schools have different policies.

Unfortunately I had already listed my percentiles on CASPA and submitted it before I realized the issue. What seems really crazy and unfair is to compare one test group to another. I think your percentiles should only be compared to those that took exactly the same exam, not those who took a different exam months or years later. In particular it is wrong to compare the old format test takers against new ones. It is an entirely different exam. No analogies, etc. Plus I am sure as time goes on people have improved their scores once all the test preps and other testing aids have figured out the new format. Just hoping adcoms think the same way.

• 1 month later...

I can just tell you my experience with the GRE: It was terrible. I scored average on the quantitative 144 or 146 and the same on the verbal. It didn't hinder my interview offers or acceptance. my writing was strong 4.5 or 5.0? And my percentiles for verbal and quantitative were not good either. I think there is a system that compares the numbers between the old and new systems. Meaning I think it would be okay to include old numbers as long as your scores are not out dated for the program. I guess its helpful you know I applied to all schools in Pennsylvania. Good luck!

Archived