Advice for graduating PA student to get into dermatology?

Guest CAdreamer

Guest CAdreamer

Hi Everyone. I am a PA student graduating this upcoming spring and my absolute dream job is to do derm. This is an insanely difficult specialty to get into and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. From what I can tell, no one wants to hire new graduates and you have to be very lucky in order to get hired in derm as a new grad. Any advice or leads would be very helpful. 

do either an IM residency or go do front line internal medicine for a year or two (in a hard setting no some cushy easy setting)

learn medicine

get the basics burned in

I will never forget the day a supposed smart, amazing ortho PA said that the 1Ac was a 2 months blood sugar marker...... forehead slap, OMG moment that they knew not a darn thing outside their specialty.....

network

network

network

Derm is hard to get into "in some areas" - mostly larger population areas. 

My local Derm can't seem to keep PA's.....  and we are desperate for derm.......

• Upvote 1