PLEASE Advise :)

Any and all advice would be more than appreciated! Thanks so much. Pay no mind to formatting issues, those will be corrected. It just seems to have pasted funny in here.

"When diagnosed with cancer, most 17 year old patients do not immediately respond with "I will attend college!" Those words, however, were my true sentiments when stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma was discovered in my body. Fueled by determination, I knew this disease would not deprive me of achieving my dreams; resigning my acceptance into a combined Bachelor/Master's degree program for physician assisting was deeply heartbreaking, but my will was undeterred. I began college from the Ireland Cancer Center infusion room, watching a live classroom stream on my laptop as toxic chemicals streamed into my blood.

Even in such unfortunate circumstances, one can always find intrinsic qualities that evoke happiness. During treatment, I befriended many patients four times my age. The wisdom and tales the residents shared captivated me. Immense rapport developed and the relationships became symbiotic: older patients provided empathetic companionship and imparted knowledge, while I provided youthful hope and optimism. Together, insurmountable obstacles were conquered. Similar relationships exist between healthcare teams, where PAs collaborate with doctors and nurses to deliver the best of care to satisfy patients' needs.

A notoriously bold patient known to wander during my hospital stays, nurses invariably found my bed empty at 5 AM when they needed to draw blood before the doctor's rounds. I was never far; I was often found dreamily watching the sunrise through the east-facing window at the end of the hall. Despite a debilitated state of health, I had a relentless supply of questions for my healthcare team at any hour of the day. “What is your reasoning for that decision?” or “what do you do when you are not with patients?” were commonly found in my repository. The nurses did not have the answers, the doctors did not have the time, but the PAs smiled and indulged my vexing inquisitions. The PAs made me feel valid, informed and a substantial part of my healthcare plan. A lifetime of follow-up care for birth defects gave me the initial notion to pursue a career as a PA, but many moments during my cancer treatment further solidified that passion.

Intimate interaction with PAs heightened my comfort level in medical atmospheres. Going the extra mile can transform a person's outlook, even if the effort appears trivial to others. Working as a state-tested nursing assistant (STNA) in a dementia unit while attending college full-time yielded many such experiences. A married couple, both Holocaust survivors, shared a room at this facility. One overnight shift, I gently placed blankets on their beds upon noticing they only had a sheet. The wife began to cry, explaining that her previous requests for a blanket had gone unheard, rendering the couple helpless; I had taken it upon myself to bring them warmth without any request. Profound gratification such as what I experienced that night by improving their quality of life is what feeds my soul. My purpose in life is to positively impact individuals as many benevolent PAs have done for me.

As an STNA, I found deeper connections with the residents on a more sensitive level, for I had suffered the loss of independence, peripheral neuropathy and emotional turmoil many were experiencing. I was cognizant of residents' unspoken needs. There is immense value to me in taking the time to be thorough, and paying attention to detail. I learned this not only as an STNA, but during other volunteer experiences, such as leading a team of adolescents at a summer camp for research in genomics. During this time and while tutoring disadvantaged students at a rural elementary school, I was able to communicate more creatively and effectively due to my solid foundation in the sciences. Accomplishment and genuine satisfaction consumed me each time I was able to witness a smile curl across the face of a student who just grasped a concept. My own illness has strengthened me and reaffirmed my conviction, and I strongly desire the opportunity to utilize my strength and talents to serve others.

I am able to apply everything I have learned toward my current work in cancer research, which will soon be published in a scientific journal. Currently, volunteering at The Free Clinic of Greater Cleveland allows me once again to demonstrate compassion and empathy to promote quality care and affords fulfillment based on personal interaction. Personal and professional exposure to clinical decision-making has endowed me with an understanding of being both patient and provider, and reaffirmed my aspiration. I survived cancer through relentless ambition and long to be the PA who auspiciously encourages the newly-diagnosed 17 year old that it is not the end. It is my calling to work honorably as a physician assistant."

Archived