Is my application competitive?

Hey all,

I'm applying to OHSU in the 2013 cycle and I'd love some input from those who have gone to or go to OHSU. How do you think my application stacks up?

CASPA overall GPA: 3.48, science GPA 3.40

GRE: 320 + 4.0 (or 1210 on the old scale)

HCE: 1,750 hours as a medical assistant

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi dschelar,

I'm applying this cycle too, and while I can't comment on your application as a current OHSU PA student, I was at the info session they held last night, and it seemed like the only issue might be your HCE...first of all, don't they require 2,000 hours? Additionally, based on the student panel they had last night, I would say the majority of them had at leat 3-4 years of HCE, some had more like 6-8. There was one girl who only had a year and a half, but she was older and had a pretty interesting background. So, while I think your GPA matches up with the avg GRE and GPA values, I would work on getting some extra volunteering hours (they count that) for your HCE. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Hi dschelar,

I'm applying this cycle too, and while I can't comment on your application as a current OHSU PA student, I was at the info session they held last night, and it seemed like the only issue might be your HCE...first of all, don't they require 2,000 hours? Additionally, based on the student panel they had last night, I would say the majority of them had at leat 3-4 years of HCE, some had more like 6-8. There was one girl who only had a year and a half, but she was older and had a pretty interesting background. So, while I think your GPA matches up with the avg GRE and GPA values, I would work on getting some extra volunteering hours (they count that) for your HCE. Hope this helps, and good luck!

I just double checked their website. You scared me. Their requirements are a 1 year minimum (approx 2,000 hours) by October. I was at 1 year when I submitted and have worked for 14 months as an MA as of writing this and will have 16 months and ~2,500 hours by October. How was the info session? I live in Kansas so I didn't have the opportunity to go. Thanks for the insight! Also, have you submitted all of your application materials or heard anything back yet?

If you'll have 2500 hours by October, you'll be fine. They make sure to calculate for you up through October if your CASPA application was submitted before then. The info session was AWESOME; OHSU has always been my top choice, but the info session really reinforced that. The students all seemed to love the program, and were all really bright and had very diverse backgrounds. During the didactic phase, all their lectures are all from the heads of departments from the medical school, so really high quality instruction. They take some classes with med students during the didactic phase as well, like medical ethics, and anatomy, histology, and imaging, so there is a strong focus on working alongside physicians as part of the same team. Also, they said that they expect the number of applications to go down this year (only marginally, they are anticipating around 1200 apps for 36 spots) since they are requiring the GRE again, which makes some not apply apparently. I submitted everything back in mid-July, and am really crossing my fingers on this one. I'm hoping to hear back from them in a month or so, but it might be more like October since they have so many candidates. Best of luck to you!! You definitely made the right choice in applying, this would be a great program to be involved with.

Archived