Class of 2015

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, everyone! Congratulations to those who have gotten interviews so far. I am in the Class of 2014 at UAB, so I just wanted to pop in and say hello. :) If you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them. As I'm sure you know, the application and interview process for PA school can seem somewhat...."daunting" LOL, but hang in there! Physician assistant forum was a valuable resource for me throughout my application and interview process, so I'd be happy to "pay it forward" as much as I can by answering any questions that I am able to answer. Good luck!

Thanks so much for offering to help us! My question would be if you could give us any insight into the interview process. I know I have some preparing to do, but what specifically could I best prepare? If you can give examples of the "feel" of the process, questions, what the selection committee is looking for, etc. that would be great!

I love this forum too and think it's a great way to brainstorm with others here.

I will give you a run-down of my experience, but I cannot guarantee the interview format will be the same this year. Also, these are my own personal opinions...not necessarily the opinion of UAB SPA program. ;) With that little disclaimer said.......

Everyone I interacted with at UAB was very welcoming and made an effort to put me at ease. I would not use the term "laid-back" because you need to be on your toes and professional at all times, but no one came across as intimidating. I interviewed at 2 other schools and I felt the most comfortable at UAB. It is a challenging and serious program but the faculty are by no means out to "get" you or intimidate you. In fact, it's exactly the opposite. They are out make sure you succeed! Prepare yourself for a long day. WEAR A SUIT and comfortable shoes. The interview process consisted of several steps for me. I interviewed in the afternoon and my day looked like this:

- Arrived (30 minutes early) and was greeted by current UAB SPA students. They answered my questions and helped calm my nerves :)

- The morning interviewees joined us and lunch was served. We continued to mingle.

- Program Director and faculty came in and introduced themselves and gave a presentation about the program

- Interviewees stood up one at a time and introduced themselves to the entire group (If you get nervous in these situations it's a good idea to come up with an idea of what you might say...this was the most nerve-racking part of the whole day for me because public speaking makes me nervous! LOL)

- Short writing assignment (Not something to worry about. Just your opinion on a topic. No right/wrong answer)

- Individual interviews: 1 academic and 1 experience-based. This was one-on-one with two different faculty members...no panel of interviewers to grill me. :)

- Group discussion: You will discuss/debate a topic amongst a small group (7 or 8?) of your fellow interviewees. Faculty members will sit in and access your interaction.

- Tour of the facilities with a current student

As for specific questions, there is no way for me to predict this for you! I have talked to several classmates about their interview experience and everyone had a different story. However, besides pondering your responses to typical interview questions, it would probably be a good idea to do some soul-searching and have strong answers for these questions:

For the experience interview:

What does a PA do?

Why do I want to be a PA/Why will I succeed in PA School/Why will I succeed as a PA?

Be prepared to support your answers with specific examples of your interactions with PAs through shadowing, volunteer work, etc.

For the academic interview, review your application and transcripts. Be able to explain any bad grades/weaknesses.

Also, at the end of your one-on-one interviews, the interviewers will probably ask if you have any questions, so be sure to have a good question in mind.

As for what the faculty is looking for, they are looking for people who will make great PAs. Don't try to tailor your answers to what you think they may be looking for or give "cookie cutter" answers.

In general, prepare for the interview (which you are clearly already doing if you are on PA forum). Educate yourself on what PAs do. Keep reading on PA forum and other sources on the internet (check out AAPA.org). Visualize yourself as a PA and form opinions on current issues. Read as much as you can about UAB and the SPA program...not just prereq's but any current events, etc. For example, before my interview I had read an article about the SPA students volunteering their time to help the Cullman tornado victims last April and it actually came up in conversation during my interview...not sure how much that helped, but it's always good to know a lot about the program!

And, again, as I read in one of those "Getting into PA School" books: From the moment you arrive on campus until the moment you drive away, be on your absolute best professional behavior. You never know who you might run into in the parking garage... Above all, be friendly and be yourself. Don't forget to relax and smile.

Wow, sorry this was such a long post. I hope it answered your questions. I tried to narrow it down, but my brain is tired so please forgive my rambling/typos/run-on sentences!

You are very welcome.

I love PA school at UAB so far. It is an amazing program. The faculty really make an effort to optimize our learning. For example, this semester we are taking Gross Anatomy, Pathology, Physiology, and Clinical Laboratory Medicine. All of the lectures in these courses have been synchronized so that we are covering the same topics in each course around the same time (ex: Cardiovascular Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, and Diagnostic Labs lectures all during the same exam cycle). This is just one way they work really hard to help us learn as much as possible as quickly as possible.

Anyway, PA school is not easy and it's a lot of studying, but it's incredibly interesting and having good instructors makes all the difference in the world. Oh, and the cadaver dissection= AMAZING! We get to do all the cutting ourselves, no prosection.

In short, I am thankful everyday that I have the opportunity to study at UAB.

Good luck to you!! Let me know if y'all have any other questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!! I applied this year as well an Uab is my number one for sure!! However, I have not received an email interview invitation yet which I feel like is bad news congrats to all who have interviews and good luck!!! Has anyone emailed them to see where their application stands in the process? Does anyone know if they keep sending out invitations? I received an email saying I was under official review sept 22. But haven't heard anything since????

From reading former year posts it seems interviews may go into January or even February! You may still get an interview, you're just playing more of a waiting game. And even for those of us interviewing, we could find out the next week if we get in or not, or wait until February or March to find out!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived