Considering PA after 40?

Hi- I am looking at PA as a mid-career option. I have spent the previous few years in technical project management and the years before that in social services. I would have to spend at least a year taking the science prerequisites and am somewhat limited in the programs I can apply to, as I am not able to move for school. I know admission is highly competitive- is it even worth trying? Is there anyone out there who started this journey later in life who is willing to chat with me about their experience? Thanks!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JojoPA20 said:

Hi- I am looking at PA as a mid-career option. I have spent the previous few years in technical project management and the years before that in social services. I would have to spend at least a year taking the science prerequisites and am somewhat limited in the programs I can apply to, as I am not able to move for school. I know admission is highly competitive- is it even worth trying? Is there anyone out there who started this journey later in life who is willing to chat with me about their experience? Thanks!

It is doable. I was older: decided to become a PA at 51, took prepreqs (and  a year off for paramedic school) for 7 years, started PA school at 58, graduated at 60, worked full time until I was 69, and still work part-time (some clinic some PA faculty) at 74. As far as patient care going in, all together I had a couple of decades as a volunteer EMT, part-time EMT, part-time paramedic for 9-1-1 services.

I was an engineer until I "retired" from that 6 weeks before PA school started. I applied to and was accepted at three schools; being older has some advantages since diversity is desired by many programs. The average PA student starting out these days is a 24-year-old woman.

The book cited in my signature block tells my story. (The sample on Amazon takes you through to the start of school.) My class had two other married students and none with kids. I became a grandfather for the first time during my second semester!

All I can say is that it worked for me. I don't think I would still be working at my age at my old job and I work now because I enjoy it. Kind of by the side of the road right now given COVID -- starting back with my old practice doing telemedicine this week and I've kept teaching throughout. I had been riding with EMS twice a month but I stopped when COVID came knocking. I miss it, but I don't want to take the chance right now.

As with much of life, the real question is what do you really want to do? I would be surprised if you can take all of your prereqs in a year given that they expire at many programs. Why not start taking one or two and see how it feels?  The same with getting healthcare experience. How you feel taking those first steps can tell you quite a bit.

Enjoy and best of luck!

Edited by UGoLong
  • Like 1