Programs that focus more on academic performance and life experiences

Hi all -

I'm hoping some of the more experienced people on the forum may be able to help me out with this question. I recently graduated from Wheaton College (MA) this past May and I am about to start training/working as a CNA at an extended-stay facility. I am a certified EMT-B and will soon be a certified CNA. I will start accumulating hours in August while working full time as a CNA. My cum GPA at Wheaton was a 3.8 and my cum science GPA was about the same. That being said, I have a strong academic profile, but I am only now beginning to acquire HCE hours.

Can anyone recommend me programs that really emphasize academics and life experiences a bit more than HCE hours. I fully understand the importance and significance of HCE hours, and that is exactly why I'm starting to work as a CNA, however I really want to apply to a few programs this cycle.

I'm looking mainly in the Northeast/PA/NY/WV/OH/MD region.

Thanks for any tips you all may have for me!

Hi all -

I'm hoping some of the more experienced people on the forum may be able to help me out with this question. I recently graduated from Wheaton College (MA) this past May and I am about to start training/working as a CNA at an extended-stay facility. I am a certified EMT-B and will soon be a certified CNA. I will start accumulating hours in August while working full time as a CNA. My cum GPA at Wheaton was a 3.8 and my cum science GPA was about the same. That being said, I have a strong academic profile, but I am only now beginning to acquire HCE hours.

Can anyone recommend me programs that really emphasize academics and life experiences a bit more than HCE hours. I fully understand the importance and significance of HCE hours, and that is exactly why I'm starting to work as a CNA, however I really want to apply to a few programs this cycle.

I'm looking mainly in the Northeast/PA/NY/WV/OH/MD region.

Thanks for any tips you all may have for me!

There are many programs that do not emphasize HCE that much. Honestly, as long you get some HCE (like you are) and maintain your GPA as it is, you shouldn't have any problems getting invited to a couple of interviews. Then it is up to you. Try some shadowing to add to the HCE.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with "life experiences". Everybody has life experience; is yours different? If it is, how would that experience make you a better applicant? I have 39 years "life experience" but I somehow don't think it will weigh as much as my GPA, GRE, and HCE.

You are the model of the current trend in PA school matriculations. Young (assuming), high GPA, and low HCE. This isn't an insult, in fact I envy your position. If I had only known 15 years ago what I know now....blah blah. Apply, I would.

Good luck

There are many programs that do not emphasize HCE that much. Honestly, as long you get some HCE (like you are) and maintain your GPA as it is, you shouldn't have any problems getting invited to a couple of interviews. Then it is up to you. Try some shadowing to add to the HCE.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with "life experiences". Everybody has life experience; is yours different? If it is, how would that experience make you a better applicant? I have 39 years "life experience" but I somehow don't think it will weigh as much as my GPA, GRE, and HCE.

You are the model of the current trend in PA school matriculations. Young (assuming), high GPA, and low HCE. This isn't an insult, in fact I envy your position. If I had only known 15 years ago what I know now....blah blah. Apply, I would.

Good luck

Thanks for your opinion! I'm glad to hear you say I should apply and that I will possibly get some interviews. I hear so many people applying with thousands of hours of HCE and I was starting to get nervous. I'm just nervous that I won't be able to put much HCE on my application as I need to turn in the app very soon.

Thanks for your opinion! I'm glad to hear you say I should apply and that I will possibly get some interviews. I hear so many people applying with thousands of hours of HCE and I was starting to get nervous. I'm just nervous that I won't be able to put much HCE on my application as I need to turn in the app very soon.

@langer I'm in the same position. I was actually accepted to a 5 year BS/MS PA program right out of high school, but then I was diagnosed with cancer and had to decline. I went to college while going through chemo and maintained a 3.4 GPA. I have spent more time around PA's and asking them questions and observing their role than most people, but none of that truly counts on the CASPA. I was an STNA/CNA, but had to quit after 2 months because my immune system wasn't up to par yet. Currently, I work in cancer research at a world-renowned institution, but that doesn't count either lol. Like you, I recently began volunteering and accumulating more shadowing hours, but those numbers are so low right now. The fact of the matter is, on paper, it looks like I haven't done anything. I live in Ohio, so a lot of the following are in your area of interest:

I have been making a list of programs that require little HCE:

Alderson-Broaddus

South University

AZ School of health sciences (AT Still)

Marietta

Cuyahoga Community College

U Texas - Pan Am

PCOM

Barry U

LSU Shreveport

Midwestern

Arcadia

Ohio Dominican

Findlay

Touro Nevada

UNT Health science center

St Francis

Western U

There are a few more in Indiana/Illinois, but those states are not high on my priority list of destinations, so I didn't jot them down. Check them out, though. There's a lot near Chicago, I think. Also, there's a ton in Pennsylvania.

Best of luck to you! Let me know if you are aware of any more.

@langer I'm in the same position. I was actually accepted to a 5 year BS/MS PA program right out of high school, but then I was diagnosed with cancer and had to decline. I went to college while going through chemo and maintained a 3.4 GPA. I have spent more time around PA's and asking them questions and observing their role than most people, but none of that truly counts on the CASPA. I was an STNA/CNA, but had to quit after 2 months because my immune system wasn't up to par yet. Currently, I work in cancer research at a world-renowned institution, but that doesn't count either lol. Like you, I recently began volunteering and accumulating more shadowing hours, but those numbers are so low right now. The fact of the matter is, on paper, it looks like I haven't done anything. I live in Ohio, so a lot of the following are in your area of interest:

I have been making a list of programs that require little HCE:

Alderson-Broaddus

South University

AZ School of health sciences (AT Still)

Marietta

Cuyahoga Community College

U Texas - Pan Am

PCOM

Barry U

LSU Shreveport

Midwestern

Arcadia

Ohio Dominican

Findlay

Touro Nevada

UNT Health science center

St Francis

Western U

There are a few more in Indiana/Illinois, but those states are not high on my priority list of destinations, so I didn't jot them down. Check them out, though. There's a lot near Chicago, I think. Also, there's a ton in Pennsylvania.

Best of luck to you! Let me know if you are aware of any more.

I'm glad to hear that there is someone else in my situation! I'm happy to hear that you are pursuing your dreams. It is scary how much we are alike! I also worked in cancer research in a world-renowned institution and I'm currently preparing to work as a CNA. I had the same thoughts as you when you say that on paper it doesn't look like we've done much, and that is what has been worrying me. Many of the schools that you list are actually schools that I'm considering. How many schools do you plan on applying to?

I'm glad to hear that there is someone else in my situation! I'm happy to hear that you are pursuing your dreams. It is scary how much we are alike! I also worked in cancer research in a world-renowned institution and I'm currently preparing to work as a CNA. I had the same thoughts as you when you say that on paper it doesn't look like we've done much, and that is what has been worrying me. Many of the schools that you list are actually schools that I'm considering. How many schools do you plan on applying to?

A bunch. As many as I can find. I've learned that it's better to apply to more schools than you want, that way if you get accepted to 1 or 2 or more, the decision is YOURS. Even though it's costly, I'd like to apply to maybe 10 or so? I figure it'd be worth it to make a big investment now, rather than having to do this again next year.

Where did you do your research? Simply curious. I technically work for Case Western Reserve University, doing research for University Hospitals and The Cleveland Clinic.

If you wanna chat or ask questions about the CASPA and stuff, we could be good resources for each other. Message me on here and I'll give you my email.

A bunch. As many as I can find. I've learned that it's better to apply to more schools than you want, that way if you get accepted to 1 or 2 or more, the decision is YOURS. Even though it's costly, I'd like to apply to maybe 10 or so? I figure it'd be worth it to make a big investment now, rather than having to do this again next year.

Where did you do your research? Simply curious. I technically work for Case Western Reserve University, doing research for University Hospitals and The Cleveland Clinic.

If you wanna chat or ask questions about the CASPA and stuff, we could be good resources for each other. Message me on here and I'll give you my email.

Archived