MA class online or CNA? Advice?

Hi!

I'm a rising sophomore. I was thinking about taking a medical assistant class online with US career institute, but I'm worried that it won't be easy to get a job because it does not have a clinical portion to it. I wanted to take CNA classes at a community college, but due to COVID, they won't have them available until September which won't work with my classes. Should I wait until next summer to take CNA classes and get licensed or take the online MA class? I also want to volunteer during this summer, but I have grandparents that live with me and I do not want to risk getting COVID. I'm not sure what to do because I don't want to waste a summer doing nothing. If someone could give me advice, I'd really appreciate it!

Hi!
I'm a rising sophomore. I was thinking about taking a medical assistant class online with US career institute, but I'm worried that it won't be easy to get a job because it does not have a clinical portion to it. I wanted to take CNA classes at a community college, but due to COVID, they won't have them available until September which won't work with my classes. Should I wait until next summer to take CNA classes and get licensed or take the online MA class? I also want to volunteer during this summer, but I have grandparents that live with me and I do not want to risk getting COVID. I'm not sure what to do because I don't want to waste a summer doing nothing. If someone could give me advice, I'd really appreciate it!

I took the Ma course through US career institute. It wasn’t bad, not great. When I finished I bought the study guide and practice exam for the NHA CCMA exam and studied that for a week and then took the exam. I went from nothing to CCMA in a month. And I found plenty of opportunities with the CCMA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, mooredc said:

I took the Ma course through US career institute. It wasn’t bad, not great. When I finished I bought the study guide and practice exam for the NHA CCMA exam and studied that for a week and then took the exam. I went from nothing to CCMA in a month. And I found plenty of opportunities with the CCMA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! I think I'm going to take the course 🙂 Do you know if the CCMA program needs to be accredited by CAAHEP in New Jersey? I can't seem to find the answer.

Edited by court315

On 6/10/2020 at 11:52 PM, court315 said:

Hi!

Hi! I took this course and actually didn't end up finishing it because I ended up finding a job that didn't even require certification. I also had previous medical scribing experience (also did not require certification). For me this class was a waste of money but that was just my experience! Does your community college offer a CMA course? I'd rather do that than this course because I feel like you'll likely learn more. Maybe your community college is offering a CMA course online which would work with your situation.  I would also recommend seeing if you can get your foot in the door of medicine by applying to maybe scribe positions (usually very doable to do with school) and then eventually work your way up as a medical assistant. This was just my experience and again this class may totally be worth it for you but just make sure you explore other opportunities in your area clinically before investing your money!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 4:12 AM, spay12 said:

Hi! I took this course and actually didn't end up finishing it because I ended up finding a job that didn't even require certification. I also had previous medical scribing experience (also did not require certification). For me this class was a waste of money but that was just my experience! Does your community college offer a CMA course? I'd rather do that than this course because I feel like you'll likely learn more. Maybe your community college is offering a CMA course online which would work with your situation.  I would also recommend seeing if you can get your foot in the door of medicine by applying to maybe scribe positions (usually very doable to do with school) and then eventually work your way up as a medical assistant. This was just my experience and again this class may totally be worth it for you but just make sure you explore other opportunities in your area clinically before investing your money!

Thank you so much! I did not end up taking the course. I will try to find scribe positions. How did you find your scribing position?