Lab Prerequisite

I'm at a bit of a dilemma here. Some schools I'm looking at requires 8 credits for Biology ( Bio I & II w/ lab for each). At my school, Bio I and II were both taken without a lab component (6 credits total). The lab  portion was a separate class, and I was told by my advisor that my biochemistry lab fulfills the same requirement as bio lab so I never took it.

I have retaken Bio II at a CC again to get a better grade, and it does have a lab component (4 credits). Would this fulfills the prereq?

Am I overthinking this? 

Based on what you’ve described, it would seem you still lack a 4-unit Bio I course with lab.  Normally, lecture and lab components for these sort of courses go hand-in-hand and are worth at least 4-5 units, so the fact that you were previously able to take a 3-unit Bio I course without a mandatory lab leads me to believe that it was probably an intro course intended for non-science majors, which usually isn’t accepted by most PA programs.  I don’t think most programs would consider a lab completed as part of a separate Biochem course to be an equivalent substitution, but you could always contact each program’s admissions department to see if they’d make an exception.  Good luck!

10 hours ago, dukkulisur said:

Based on what you’ve described, it would seem you still lack a 4-unit Bio I course with lab.  Normally, lecture and lab components for these sort of courses go hand-in-hand and are worth at least 4-5 units, so the fact that you were previously able to take a 3-unit Bio I course without a mandatory lab leads me to believe that it was probably an intro course intended for non-science majors, which usually isn’t accepted by most PA programs.  I don’t think most programs would consider a lab completed as part of a separate Biochem course to be an equivalent substitution, but you could always contact each program’s admissions department to see if they’d make an exception.  Good luck!

It was an intro course for science majors. My university separated the lab and lecture components for a lot of my prerequisite courses. The only exception I ever noticed for that to be the case is anatomy, which was a 4 credit course.

Edited by hlam17

@hlam17 Interesting... I would contact each program you're interested in to ask whether or not they would accept your existing coursework.  Some programs have compiled databases of specific course codes/numbers they will accept for prereqs, listed by college/university.  If that's the case, they should be able to give you a pretty clear answer.

Good luck!

3 minutes ago, dukkulisur said:

@hlam17 Interesting... I would contact each program you're interested in to ask whether or not they would accept your existing coursework.  Some programs have compiled databases of specific course codes/numbers they will accept for prereqs, listed by college/university.  If that's the case, they should be able to give you a pretty clear answer.

Good luck!

Thank you for the help!