What is my best course of action?

Hey everyone! I know there’s a billion other people asking “what are the odds”, but I haven’t been able to find anything pertaining to military cases. 

I am attempting to apply to PA school this cycle, but I’m unsure of what I should do to better my chances, or even if I should push it off a year.

Bachelor’s: Biology/Health Science Overall GPA- 3.12 

Master’s: Forensic Investigations/Criminal Law Overall GPA- 4.0

I obtained my Bachelor’s in 2.5 years because I was told I was supposed to deploy, so I rushed my degree (my advisor was prior military and said I could easily do it- lol so I thought) and I got a couple C’s: Microbiology, Genetics, and Immunology. I got a C in Organic Chemistry 1 Lecture, but I’m currently retaking it and will definitely do a lot better. Three of my four C’s were 79%’s, Genetics I struggled but it was my first real science class so it was a rude awakening to say the least. 

Health Care/Patient Care Hours ~3700

Volunteering: Camp Quality (kids summer camp)- roughly 650 hours, Big Brothers Big Sisters roughly 600 hours, and Exceptional Citizens roughly 50 hours.

I do have some medical training through the military. By the time I would start PA school in 2021, I will have done three years active duty, three years reserves, and I get out around next May (I’ll get honorable). 

I am taking the GRE at the end of June

I have finished my personal statement if anyone is wanting to check it over..

My main questions:

Should I still apply? If so, where would I have a decent chance of getting in?

If I shouldn’t apply, what courses should I retake? I have already taken a significant amount of upper level science courses, so I’m not sure what else I can take. 

What can I do during this application cycle to higher my chances of being more competitive? 

My mindset is usually if you meet the requirements then give it a shot, so I would apply. The general thought is that everyone needs stellar grades, large amounts of PCE and volunteering. Those  things will get the majority of people in a program, but there are also a lot of people who get into programs without the high stats. Your above resume is not the norm and your experiences sound awesome where I think a great PS would help make you stand out. You didn’t mention if you have any PA shadow hours, you will need some for most programs. Many programs will value your service to our country and will give you points in their selection process for your service. 

Before applying you need to do some research on programs you’re interested in. Make sure your grades for their prerequisites and overall gpa are in order. Also look at their selection process, this will tell you if they will give you points for your service.

Thank you for your service.

Edited by Janie55
  • Like 1