Genetics class at Doane University

• 3 weeks later...
Guest prePA847312

I was also looking into taking Genetics through Doane for this upcoming session, but have also looked into Metropolitan Community College (since it is more affordable). But I am looking for insight on Doane's genetics course as well!

I just finished up Doane's genetics class in early March. I thought it was very manageable and I work fulltime 40 hours a week. You have weekly discussion posts with your small group where you have to do a little write up on that weeks topic and respond to 2 classmates, weekly quiz on that weeks material, and usually a small weekly project (either a min-essay ~1 page, or constructing a pedigree, etc). You pick a disease at the beginning of the course and at the end you have to do a project on the disease that was a 5 minute powerpoint presentation (about the cause of the disease, inheritance patterns, life expectancy, etc) but it was easy. Final exam is all multiple choice and was not very difficult as long as you kept up with the readings throughout the course. All in all, I would recommend it! Very easy to get an A. 

I considered Doane, but found a lot of negative posts about it on this site. I also was looking for cheaper options and ended up taking genetics online at West Valley Mission community college (based in Santa Clara, CA). The professor works entirely online as she doesn't even live in state, so that is also a great option! I learned a lot in that class, it definitely isn't just a box checker. Her format was 2-3 20min lectures per week with a 10 question quiz every Friday and the occassional discussion forum once in a while, very easy to manage.

Edited by scrubmein

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2020 at 10:29 PM, eetdawson said:

I just finished up Doane's genetics class in early March. I thought it was very manageable and I work fulltime 40 hours a week. You have weekly discussion posts with your small group where you have to do a little write up on that weeks topic and respond to 2 classmates, weekly quiz on that weeks material, and usually a small weekly project (either a min-essay ~1 page, or constructing a pedigree, etc). You pick a disease at the beginning of the course and at the end you have to do a project on the disease that was a 5 minute powerpoint presentation (about the cause of the disease, inheritance patterns, life expectancy, etc) but it was easy. Final exam is all multiple choice and was not very difficult as long as you kept up with the readings throughout the course. All in all, I would recommend it! Very easy to get an A. 

Don't mean to bump this post, but when you say 5 minute powerpoint are you presenting to the class live? Meaning you have to have a webcam?

On 7/21/2020 at 10:01 AM, tajbe91 said:

Don't mean to bump this post, but when you say 5 minute powerpoint are you presenting to the class live? Meaning you have to have a webcam?

It was more of just recording yourself "presenting" your powerpoint using your laptop camera and then you upload it. Only the professor saw it/graded it. So, I guess if your laptop doesn't have a built-in camera you'd need a webcam. 

On 7/27/2020 at 10:02 AM, eetdawson said:

It was more of just recording yourself "presenting" your powerpoint using your laptop camera and then you upload it. Only the professor saw it/graded it. So, I guess if your laptop doesn't have a built-in camera you'd need a webcam. 

Thank you so much for replying to me!

• 1 year later...