2013 Application Questions

I am a recent pre-med convert and found this forum while searching for more information about the Red Rocks program.

First a little about myself. I am a senior at University of Nevada Reno working on a Biology major, and I plan to graduate Spring of 2013. I have worked at a SNF for about 4 years in the therapy department as a rehab tech. Originally, I wanted to pursue physical therapy, but as I began taking classes and continued working I soon discovered I wanted to play a more direct role in overall patient care. This lead me toward a goal of becoming a physician, but as I observed more doctors, I quickly realized that the lifestyle of a physician was more strenuous than I wanted for myself and my growing family. I considered nursing, but the scope of practice doesn't seem to be the best fit for me. So I began exploring PA and NP as alternatives to MD. Since I will be graduating next year with a science degree and have a decent amount of patient care under my belt, I think that the decision to apply to PA schools next year is sound.

My specific interest in the Red Rocks program is threefold. Firstly, the location is perfect, considering my fiance's parents live just south of Denver in Castle Rock. We recently had a son and having the family support would be very helpful. Secondly, I like the streamlined nature of the program, and its focus on primary care. While I am not adverse to other settings, I am very familiar with primary care with a focus on geriatrics. This seems to me one of the greatest areas of need, both currently and in the future. Lastly, the cost of the program is fantastic, especially for what you get. One of the hardest things about turning away from the MD path was giving up the greater earning potential of a physician, and debilitating debt (read CU Denver) after graduation would make this a difficult decision.

My first question is in regards to the application timeline. I have read the RR website and see the July 1st deadline for the CASPA app, but I am unsure if the CASPA is submitted the year you are applying for, or the year previous. I know that you apply to med schools the year before, but the fact that a bachelors degree is required at the time of application leads me to believe that applications are due the year you wish to apply for. If that is true, when do interviews occur, and when are decisions made?

Secondly, I am slightly intimidated by the number of applicants, and the fact that the majority of students are CO residents. Do I have a good chance of getting in with my 4 years of experience and a 3.85 GPA? Also, what other extracurriculars are important to the admission board? I will have a year and a half of biomedical research under my belt when I apply next year, as well as over 100 hours of volunteering? What else can I be working on?

I think that covers my lengthy first post. I look forward to chatting with those who have already been admitted and those trying for a spot with me.

Cheers

I am a recent pre-med convert and found this forum while searching for more information about the Red Rocks program.

First a little about myself. I am a senior at University of Nevada Reno working on a Biology major, and I plan to graduate Spring of 2013. I have worked at a SNF for about 4 years in the therapy department as a rehab tech. Originally, I wanted to pursue physical therapy, but as I began taking classes and continued working I soon discovered I wanted to play a more direct role in overall patient care. This lead me toward a goal of becoming a physician, but as I observed more doctors, I quickly realized that the lifestyle of a physician was more strenuous than I wanted for myself and my growing family. I considered nursing, but the scope of practice doesn't seem to be the best fit for me. So I began exploring PA and NP as alternatives to MD. Since I will be graduating next year with a science degree and have a decent amount of patient care under my belt, I think that the decision to apply to PA schools next year is sound.

My specific interest in the Red Rocks program is threefold. Firstly, the location is perfect, considering my fiance's parents live just south of Denver in Castle Rock. We recently had a son and having the family support would be very helpful. Secondly, I like the streamlined nature of the program, and its focus on primary care. While I am not adverse to other settings, I am very familiar with primary care with a focus on geriatrics. This seems to me one of the greatest areas of need, both currently and in the future. Lastly, the cost of the program is fantastic, especially for what you get. One of the hardest things about turning away from the MD path was giving up the greater earning potential of a physician, and debilitating debt (read CU Denver) after graduation would make this a difficult decision.

My first question is in regards to the application timeline. I have read the RR website and see the July 1st deadline for the CASPA app, but I am unsure if the CASPA is submitted the year you are applying for, or the year previous. I know that you apply to med schools the year before, but the fact that a bachelors degree is required at the time of application leads me to believe that applications are due the year you wish to apply for. If that is true, when do interviews occur, and when are decisions made?

Secondly, I am slightly intimidated by the number of applicants, and the fact that the majority of students are CO residents. Do I have a good chance of getting in with my 4 years of experience and a 3.85 GPA? Also, what other extracurriculars are important to the admission board? I will have a year and a half of biomedical research under my belt when I apply next year, as well as over 100 hours of volunteering? What else can I be working on?

I think that covers my lengthy first post. I look forward to chatting with those who have already been admitted and those trying for a spot with me.

Cheers

Cheers

I would research caspa a little bit. There is lots of info on it. I believe that the application cycle opens in april. You are then applying for admittance the next fall for Red Rocks. So your application should be submitted by the deadline. Then they have to review all of the applications. My interview was early in December and I heard back within a couple of weeks. You should have the requirements done in time for your application.

The thing that I like the most about Red Rocks is that they look at the entire person, not just gpa or what your previous degree is. I think that as long as you meet the healthcare experience hours, you would be a competitive applicant. Your gpa is higher than mine. But I think that they also look at the quality of healthcare experience. Ultimately it is also about how you present yourself in the interview process. Hopefully that answers some of your questions. Good luck!

I would research caspa a little bit. There is lots of info on it. I believe that the application cycle opens in april. You are then applying for admittance the next fall for Red Rocks. So your application should be submitted by the deadline. Then they have to review all of the applications. My interview was early in December and I heard back within a couple of weeks. You should have the requirements done in time for your application.

The thing that I like the most about Red Rocks is that they look at the entire person, not just gpa or what your previous degree is. I think that as long as you meet the healthcare experience hours, you would be a competitive applicant. Your gpa is higher than mine. But I think that they also look at the quality of healthcare experience. Ultimately it is also about how you present yourself in the interview process. Hopefully that answers some of your questions. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend visiting the program. I know this sounds a bit silly since you live out of state but RRCC is a different atmosphere than other schools. This can be a good or bad thing depending who you are. I was a big supporter of RRCC until I visited. I wanted to like it because of all the reasons you stated. In the end I was only fooling myself. I knew it and they knew it.

Apply and check it out. You only have $50 to lose. It may be a perfect fit or it may not so apply widely. There is no telling what will impress an adcom on any given day. You just have to play the game and don't put all your eggs in one basket. (If you want essay help I'll forward you the one as an example that got me an interview there.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I recommend visiting the program. I know this sounds a bit silly since you live out of state but RRCC is a different atmosphere than other schools. This can be a good or bad thing depending who you are. I was a big supporter of RRCC until I visited. I wanted to like it because of all the reasons you stated. In the end I was only fooling myself. I knew it and they knew it.

Apply and check it out. You only have $50 to lose. It may be a perfect fit or it may not so apply widely. There is no telling what will impress an adcom on any given day. You just have to play the game and don't put all your eggs in one basket. (If you want essay help I'll forward you the one as an example that got me an interview there.)

I'd second this as well. I live a few miles away and I went for an information session and between that and some other contacts with the school, I applied elsewhere and am going out of state for PA school.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived