Internal med offer..what do you think 🤔

Currently in internal med and making 100k for 37 hours a week without call, get 3 weeks pto (including cme), $1500 cme allowance and health insurance paid for myself. But it’s a toxic practice and I need to move on. I’ve been a pa 6 years.

I got an offer for another internal med job, same hours basically except I would take call one night a week and every 6th weekend (no rounding), 85k base.. incentive bonus is 30% of What I bring in AFTER 250k net collections, 10 days pto including cme, 1000 cme allowance.  Non compete of 10 miles for 2 years. They Had asked what my salary expectations were and I told them $100k or $55-60/hour and this is what they offer. Apparently that bonus is basically unattainable in outpatient primary care. I could counter offer but I’m a little insulted they low balled me so hard. I live an oversaturated, known-for-being-low-paying area, but still, would you pass?  They said my resume was impressive... 

Your current job is terrible. I have the same experience as you working in a FQHC in middle of no-where in a crappy PA state with one of the lowest pays rates in the country and I make $100K per year plus about $5K bonus per year. My call is ~ 4 weeks of call per year (scattered t/o the year) and I see about 12 ppd. 

I counter at $105K base, get more vacation (4 weeks), and more CME $. I would NOT sign the non-compete. The bonus should be very attainable. Do you not get your numbers (revenue etc) monthly? I can gross $550,000-600,000 per year with a take home of $400,000 per year and that has always been in rural family medicine, seeing ~12-20 PPD (pending on the practice I was at). 

My last position in rural FM, I had to reach $400K in net collections before I got a bonus and I usually got ~$8K - $10K per year seeing ~18-20 PPD. 

I would take the job if my base was $85K plus 30% over $250K net. That means if you brought the clinic in $400K your bonus would be $150,000 x 0.3 = $45,000 + $85,000 = $130,000. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

Your current job is terrible. I have the same experience as you working in a FQHC in middle of no-where in a crappy PA state with one of the lowest pays rates in the country and I make $100K per year plus about $5K bonus per year. My call is ~ 4 weeks of call per year (scattered t/o the year) and I see about 12 ppd. 

I counter at $105K base, get more vacation (4 weeks), and more CME $. I would NOT sign the non-compete. The bonus should be very attainable. Do you not get your numbers (revenue etc) monthly? I can gross $550,000-600,000 per year with a take home of $400,000 per year and that has always been in rural family medicine, seeing ~12-20 PPD (pending on the practice I was at). 

My last position in rural FM, I had to reach $400K in net collections before I got a bonus and I usually got ~$8K - $10K per year seeing ~18-20 PPD. 

I would take the job if my base was $85K plus 30% over $250K net. That means if you brought the clinic in $400K your bonus would be $150,000 x 0.3 = $45,000 + $85,000 = $130,000. 

well I would be seeing mostly Medicare At the new place,  which apparently brings in less, and not doing any procedures. And I get the feeling these people would not budge on pto or non compete