Elective Rotation Help!

Hey all!

I start rotations in July and we just recently got the paperwork to fill out for rotations. I get only 1 elective rotation and a selective (repeat a core rotation or ortho/urgent care) which I have chosen ortho. I'd love any additional input on what to pick! Our core rotations are 2 primary care, internal medicine, emergency medicine, psychiatry, women's health, pediatrics and general surgery. 

I know people do rotations in PANCE heavy topics (cardio) but since I only get 1 elective I'd like to use in an area of interest. I don't know what I want to work in just yet. I've been an EMT for 7 years so emergency medicine seems logical, but I always did say that's not for me anymore. Rotations will tell. I've always had a big interest in OB/GYN but I've got that already so I'd like something slightly different. Here are some things I came up with, any ideas or input? I don't like the same thing every day, I like puzzles. 

• Gynecologic Oncology
  • Heme/Onc (though I was told we don't currently have any electives in this area so I'd need to pick between surgical or medical oncology and I wanted a sprinkle of both)
  • Trauma Surgery
  • Infectious Disease
  • Genetics (anyone know anyone in this field as a PA? I haven't been able to find much on it)
  • Medical Examiner/Pathology (NYP ME's Office in NYC)

Thank you!

WHEN is your elective?  In my program you had to declare your choice about 1-2 rotations ahead of time.  Sucked if it was your second rotation (happened to me) but awesome if it was later in your rotations because you may have a better idea of what you want to practice.

Heme/onc is typically med onc (surg onc is almost always a separate service, as is gyn onc).  Whether heme/onc is separate from med onc will depend on the facility.

ID is great bc in most fields you'll be dealing with infections.

Recently saw a few jobs posted for genetics for PA (super curious about this one myself).

Personally think med examiner/path would be very interesting however likely not super realistic job wise.  

Trauma surg if you plan to go into anything EMED/surg related.

If you like ob/gyn something like MFM could be interesting.

In my program there were 3 schools of thought for our single elective: 1. pick something you might go into and get some experience, references, and maybe job offers, 2. pick something you would NEVER go into because it would be your only chance to practice in it or 3. pick something high yield for PANCE (a few folks did cardiology for this reason alone).

Edited by MT2PA