Pursuing outpatient psych - how can I stay up-to-date on general medicine?

I plan on taking a job in the outpatient psychiatry setting working full-time when I graduate. I'm concerned that I'll lose my general medical knowledge and skills, and I won't be able to switch out of psychiatry if I ever decide to in the future. I would love to spend 4 days in outpatient psychiatry and 1 day a week in an urgent care or walk-in clinic to stay up on my medicine, but I'm not convinced any practice would hire a new grad for 1-2 days/week. Does anyone else work part-time/prn in another setting to maintain their skills? 

Edited by Wellness
  • Like 1

I am wondering about this as well and have a friend who is actually considering a 2-year psych residency/ training program. Hoping to hear more replies to this. I'm sure there are folks who have specifically worked in psych for a few years then switched to another specialty or started dividing up their schedule. Any first hand accounts of this out there?

• 1 month later...

What Psych residency is 2 years? I am almost done with the VA Psych residency which is a year. I have really enjoyed it and the pay for the VA residencies is much better than any other Psych residencies I looked into. As for keeping up the general medical knowledge. I plan to alternate conferences, psych one year and medicine the other. I will also continue to do general medicine CME. 

On 3/8/2020 at 2:06 PM, IDCtoPA said:

What Psych residency is 2 years? I am almost done with the VA Psych residency which is a year. I have really enjoyed it and the pay for the VA residencies is much better than any other Psych residencies I looked into. As for keeping up the general medical knowledge. I plan to alternate conferences, psych one year and medicine the other. I will also continue to do general medicine CME. 

There are two that I know of.  One in Missouri and one that is more of just a graduate training program in Michigan/Iowa (Pine Rest).

I'm 90% certain I'm going to angle for psych after graduation.  I've also had some concerns about losing my general medicine skills.

Edited by AshySlashy
Correction: Pine Rest not Pine View.

• 3 months later...

I am also wondering about this topic. I would love to work in an outpatient psychiatry clinic after I graduate, but have an urgent care job 1 - 2 days out of the week on top of that. I do know of an older PA with 40+ years experience who works concurrently in emergency medicine and an outpatient psychiatry clinic, however he worked in emergency medicine many years before transitioning to a psychiatric position. Therefore, I am unsure if a new graduate would be able to work part time in an urgent care upon graduation.