New Grad to Hospitalist

Hey all,

I'm a new grad and about to take my boards. I am interested becoming a hospitalist, but California doesn't seem to even know that PAs can be hospitalists! I asked to spend a few rotation days with a hospitalist on one rotation, and was told that PAs couldn't do that so why bother. Obviously that's not the case, but how would you suggest becoming a hospitalist? If I'm not able to find that position, which fields should I start in? I'm also looking at urgent care, ER, surgery and family med positions. So basically everything :) I've sent out a few resumes but usually as soon as people figure out I'm a new grad I never hear back.

I am in a similar situation. From my investigations and discussions, the role of a PA hospitalist is less common here in California than in other parts of the US. If you look online, there are a number of hopsitalist positions for PAs in the midwest, south, and north east but substantially less in CA. Another potential stumbling block is many of these positions ask for prior experience. That being said I have not given up on the hunt for the right position. As for what fields would be most conducive for preparing one for hospitalist -- I'd go for ER or family medicine before I would do surgery or especially urgent care. Outpatient IM would probably be of value too.

Archived