MCPHS Boston Interview Thread

Hi everyone!

I did not see a recent thread for MCPHS Boston's PA program interview, so I decided to create one. Has anyone interviewed/is anyone waiting for your interview date at this school? Could anyone share what they know about their interviews? When are they, what's the format of their interviews, and any tips on how I should prepare for it? Thank you!

• Like 1

I'm currently a 3rd year MCPHS student. I think the faculty just recently started inviting students in for interviews, and I believe they will continue doing that until approximately late January-early February. When I interviewed we had 3 separate interviews lasting 10 minutes each. 2 of the interviews are with current faculty members and the last one is with an alumni of the program. The interviews are fairly laid back and the faculty is just looking to get to know you on a personal level. No trick questions or questions out of left field as far as me and my friends can remember. I can't give specific examples of questions they may ask, but have a good reason for why you want to become a PA, know what the job of a PA entails (obviously), and know how to appropriately react in a medical setting if any ethical code is broken; all the basic stuff you should have answers for going into a PA school interview. Be unique with your answers, be professional, and think of the interview as getting to know somebody for the first time in a professional setting. I believe I heard that they added an essay question for each student to complete since I interviewed but I might be wrong on that?

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 3:34 PM, bocc54 said:

I'm currently a 3rd year MCPHS student. I think the faculty just recently started inviting students in for interviews, and I believe they will continue doing that until approximately late January-early February. When I interviewed we had 3 separate interviews lasting 10 minutes each. 2 of the interviews are with current faculty members and the last one is with an alumni of the program. The interviews are fairly laid back and the faculty is just looking to get to know you on a personal level. No trick questions or questions out of left field as far as me and my friends can remember. I can't give specific examples of questions they may ask, but have a good reason for why you want to become a PA, know what the job of a PA entails (obviously), and know how to appropriately react in a medical setting if any ethical code is broken; all the basic stuff you should have answers for going into a PA school interview. Be unique with your answers, be professional, and think of the interview as getting to know somebody for the first time in a professional setting. I believe I heard that they added an essay question for each student to complete since I interviewed but I might be wrong on that?

Thank you so much for your response and for the insight. I did hear from a couple of sources that there is an essay portion, but I am not sure what the essay will be about. Do you by any chance have a calendar that shows the timeline of the PA program? Their website says "30 months over 3 years." but I don't see any other information about the specifics of the timeline. Thank you for your time!

17 minutes ago, KevinK11 said:

Thank you so much for your response and for the insight. I did hear from a couple of sources that there is an essay portion, but I am not sure what the essay will be about. Do you by any chance have a calendar that shows the timeline of the PA program? Their website says "30 months over 3 years." but I don't see any other information about the specifics of the timeline. Thank you for your time!

I don't have a specific calendar, but classes start the beginning of September, and rotations end the last week of April/first week in May, approximately. So the class that just started PA school this September should be graduating around the beginning of May, 2022. The school follows the undergraduate semester calendar for the 2 didactic years, so you will have a week off for spring breaks, time off for thanksgiving, about a month off for christmas breaks along with any other random holidays in-between. In between your first and second didactic year, you have a 4 month summer break. Once the 2 years of didactic is over (End of April), you have a 1 week break until rotations start. Each rotation is 5 weeks long and goes completely through the year, with the exception of a 1 week mid-summer break and another long winter break. Most of the holidays that the undergrads have off, we do not have off during clinical year. Obviously it is all preceptor and specialty dependent with regards to how much you will be working during clinical year. Some rotations are M-F, 9-5, while other preceptors may give you a day off during the week, some will have you working 6 days a week, nights, weekends holidays yada yada 

Edited by bocc54