How to: Notify a school you are giving up your seat???

Any ideas on how to give up your seat?

I have been accepted to two programs. The one I will be attending is a more recent acceptance, and now that everything is in order at this school for matriculation I want to promptly notify the other school. Good thing is the program I will not be attending starts in October, so it's not last minute. Unfortunately this decision comes at a $1500 price tag (to hold the seat).

I was thinking of writing a formal letter. However, it would take roughly 2 weeks to get there by regular mail (I would like to notify them sooner). Would an email with the attached letter in PDF, with the formal letter to come later suffice?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

No need to send a formal letter. Send them an nice email expressing your gratitude for the opportunity. Believe me, they won't think anything more about it, except to smile about fleecing you out of 1500 big ones. I can guarantee you that the schools I had hold seats for me could not care less about what I did once I withdrew my acceptance. There will be plenty more applicants to take your place. I know you are worried about your reputation, but once you start at your program then the others no longer matter. At all.

Personally, I can't believe they required a non-refundable $1500 deposit to hold your seat.

Good luck.

I agree with sending an email. It's better than a phone call because they will have it in "writing" and better than a letter because it's instant. Keep it simple. No need to ramble on. Just tell them in your own way that you appreciate the opportunity but another program feels like a better fit. They might respond or they might not. Having done this more than once, I've experienced both. But usually they write back and express their best wishes and everyone moves on. It'll be okay!

Archived