Change of career...advice on admission please

I am 48, finished my BS 20+ years ago, and am wanting to go to PA school.  I was not a strong student in college, my maturity was not where it should have been, so I struggled academically and my GPA is less than 3.0.  The last 15 years I have worked in the interventional cardiology space in the medical device field, and prior to that I worked in a Cardiac Cath Lab as well as an Emergency Department in a Level 1 Trauma Center.  Does anyone have advice for me on how to achieve this?  I am quite serious about this and have no question in my mind I can accomplish this and have a second career.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you,  Mike.

1 hour ago, MVtobeaPA said:

I am 48, finished my BS 20+ years ago, and am wanting to go to PA school.  I was not a strong student in college, my maturity was not where it should have been, so I struggled academically and my GPA is less than 3.0.  The last 15 years I have worked in the interventional cardsiology space in the medical device field, and prior to that I worked in a Cardiac Cath Lab as well as an Emergency Department in a Level 1 Trauma Center.  Does anyone have advice for me on how to achieve this?  I am quite serious about this and have no question in my mind I can accomplish this and have a second career.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you,  Mike.

There are various posts about this.  However, I'm in the same situation ( a little younger), but was not a good undergrad student.  You have two options as your pre-reqs are probably not valid and I'm not sure what sciences you are taking.  

1. take or retake all of your science courses needed for PA school either DIY or some form of formal program

2. get a post-bacc (MS) degree in like biomedial science..this is expensive but pick a program that will allow you to take higher level chemistry and bio classes.

Lastly, It's to your advantage to speak with an admission rep for each school you are thinking about attending and explain your situation and ask for their best advise.

Good luck.  I'm now taking my science courses and hope to have majority if not all of them completed for the next application cycle for the class of 2023.

At 48, you’re not the same person you were 30 years ago, though you’ll carry those grades. As the last poster noted, retake your preqs (the science ones that your school wants you to take in the last n years; English, etc usually flies, no matter how old.)

And spend time shadowing PAs. Go into this with your eyes wide open!

I took my first prereq when I was 51. (I wrote about my path in a book several years ago.) My undergrad grades were fine but in non-biological subjects. What you want to do can be done. I graduated when I was 60 and have been a cardiology PA for 13 years now.

Best wishes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk