New Grad Job Offer- FM

Hello everyone! I am hoping to receive some opinions regarding a new job offer I received in a rural part of SC. Contract year to year. As a new grad, I'd greatly appreciate all the help I can get.  Below are the details:

Salary 95k base.

Bonus: 15% of amount exceeding 300k collected calculated per year

Expectations: Average number of patients >16pts per 8hr shift.

Scheduling: 40hrs/wk with 2 weekend days/month

Non-compete for period of 2 years with 15 mile radius

Benefits:

1. Medical and Dental insurance covered 100% by practice
  2. Practice-specific retirement program(not specified, will ask for details)
  3. Malpractice Insurance (no tail coverage)- I heard that tail practice is not as necessary for new grads...
  4. 2 weeks PTO
  5. 1 week CME; $1500 CME
  6. 5 days sick leave
  7. Fees required to maintain license to practice will be covered (will ask to specify)
  8. Willing to train new grad

Potential things to negotiate/ask for (are any of these reasonable/ any other ideas?):

-Concerned about the non-compete. It's 15 miles radius, which is not too limiting, but is something I've always been taught to be wary of.
-Concerned about the no tail being included. Read somewhere in the posts that tail is not necessary for new grads...pretty sure it's claims-based. If I were to leave the practice for any reason, would I have the option to purchase/carry another claims-based policy (i.e., at following employer) and have coverage for any claims made during my time at this practice?
-CME to 2500 (I believe this is the average)
-Coverage/access to subscriptions like UpToDate
-Professional Membership fee assistance (i.e. AAPA)

-Technology coverage assistance (Dragon for example; also have to buy own laptop)

Suggestions/Ideas? Thank you in advance!

Edited by ej4949

5 hours ago, ej4949 said:

Hello everyone! I am hoping to receive some opinions regarding a new job offer I received in a rural part of SC. Contract year to year. As a new grad, I'd greatly appreciate all the help I can get.  Below are the details:

Salary 95k base.

Bonus: 15% of amount exceeding 300k collected calculated per year

Expectations: Average number of patients >16pts per 8hr shift.

Scheduling: 40hrs/wk with 2 weekend days/month

Non-compete for period of 2 years with 15 mile radius

Benefits:

1. Medical and Dental insurance covered 100% by practice
  2. Practice-specific retirement program(not specified, will ask for details)
  3. Malpractice Insurance (no tail coverage)- I heard that tail practice is not as necessary for new grads...
  4. 2 weeks PTO
  5. 1 week CME; $1500 CME
  6. 5 days sick leave
  7. Fees required to maintain license to practice will be covered (will ask to specify)
  8. Willing to train new grad

Potential things to negotiate/ask for (are any of these reasonable/ any other ideas?):

-Concerned about the non-compete. It's 15 miles radius, which is not too limiting, but is something I've always been taught to be wary of.
-Concerned about the no tail being included. Read somewhere in the posts that tail is not necessary for new grads...pretty sure it's claims-based. If I were to leave the practice for any reason, would I have the option to purchase/carry another claims-based policy (i.e., at following employer) and have coverage for any claims made during my time at this practice?
-CME to 2500 (I believe this is the average)
-Coverage/access to subscriptions like UpToDate
-Professional Membership fee assistance (i.e. AAPA)

-Technology coverage assistance (Dragon for example; also have to buy own laptop)

Suggestions/Ideas? Thank you in advance!

Non-competes suuuuuuck, but are a fact of life now a days.  Anything over 5-8 miles though is way too much.  Remember, its not a google maps distance by street to the next clinic, they go by "as the crow flies".

What do you mean a tail is not required for new grads?  It absolutely is required unless you want to pay off the insurance company a very large sum when you leave.

11 minutes ago, Cideous said:

Non-competes suuuuuuck, but are a fact of life now a days.  Anything over 5-8 miles though is way too much.  Remember, its not a google maps distance by street to the next clinic, they go by "as the crow flies".

What do you mean a tail is not required for new grads?  It absolutely is required unless you want to pay off the insurance company a very large sum when you leave.

I mapped online exactly how far the non-compete would encompass (circle with mile radius from the address of the practice), and it does not appear to include any areas that would be areas I would be looking for another job in if I did have to.

Additionally, after some more research, I have a better understanding of the necessity of tail coverage, and will try and negotiate for it. If for any reason it's non-negotiable, do you have any suggestion of what I can do to workaround it? I've read forums of the potential use of purchasing tail coverage (or nose coverage) from the same insurance company if there is a point that my employment ends.

You have 2 choices.  When you leave them, purchase a tail from their ins company.  BAD IDEA.  There is no way to tell how much that will be, but it could easily be well over $20k depending on how long you work there.

Choice two is have them pay for you to carry your own full policy through CM&F group.  They are the only place I would recommend for PA's buying their own Ins.  Count on around $3-4k per year...

Honestly, I am shocked they do not offer a tail.  That is a non-brainer unless you are an independent contractor, and in that case see option 2 above. 

Is it a mom and pop shop?  All large organizations carry a tail on you and the group.

Edited by Cideous

14 hours ago, Cideous said:

You have 2 choices.  When you leave them, purchase a tail from their ins company.  BAD IDEA.  There is no way to tell how much that will be, but it could easily be well over $20k depending on how long you work there.

Choice two is have them pay for you to carry your own full policy through CM&F group.  They are the only place I would recommend for PA's buying their own Ins.  Count on around $3-4k per year...

Honestly, I am shocked they do not offer a tail.  That is a non-brainer unless you are an independent contractor, and in that case see option 2 above. 

Is it a mom and pop shop?  All large organizations carry a tail on you and the group.

Yes, it is a small, independent practice. I will try and negotiate for a tail, and if not, ask if they can pay for my own policy through CM&F. Just visited their site, and found the quote for the premium to be very reasonable. Seems that they provide a more affordable route as a new graduate and AAPA member. Starts off 300 for a claims-based, then goes up annually with it automatically becoming occurrence after the 5th year. Thanks!

Ok the problem with that is you MUST pay that premium for 5 years...or have someone pay it for you.  If you leave in the first 5 years and can not afford to keep making that payment, say you leave for another job (99% of jobs offer you their own malpractice with tail unless you are an IC and will NOT pay your malpractice), then you will be on the hook to pay your OWN tail.  Which as I said can be 10's of thousands of dollars.  You are much better off going 1 mil 3 mil occurrence to start with and make sure they pay it.  That way, if you leave you are covered.  Period.

My god why don't they teach this stuff in school.  It's so critically important and seems to just be glossed over.  Not having a tail and malpractice on day 1 would be a 100% dealbreaker for me.

Edited by Cideous