Advice for resume/interview

Hi guys. Im a new pa currently applying for derm positions. I have 4 rotations in each of surgery/ emed/ primary care and other core rotations. So a lot of procedures and first assisting.  I have 2 years clinical rotation but none in dermatology. How do i swing this in my cover letter or interview? I’m almost 100% sure that derm is where i want to be, and its hard to get in, so if i get the opportunity i dont want to mess up.

thanks for any advice!

Elaborate on all of your procedural experiences, with emphasis on how good you are with suturing. Getting a job in derm without prior experience is difficult regardless of if/where you were practicing before. My year in EM helped me because as I was interviewing for my derm job, I was able to tell my boss that while in the ED, many of the physicians would have me suture their pts' wounds for them because it quickly became a skill of mine. This impressed my employer. Put anything in there like that, that might set you apart. 

You could also sign up as an SDPA member now, and include that in your cover letter to let them know that you're serious about pursuing this specialty. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brooks23 said:

Elaborate on all of your procedural experiences, with emphasis on how good you are with suturing. Getting a job in derm without prior experience is difficult regardless of if/where you were practicing before. My year in EM helped me because as I was interviewing for my derm job, I was able to tell my boss that while in the ED, many of the physicians would have me suture their pts' wounds for them because it quickly became a skill of mine. This impressed my employer. Put anything in there like that, that might set you apart. 

You could also sign up as an SDPA member now, and include that in your cover letter to let them know that you're serious about pursuing this specialty. 

I actually thought about joining SDPA and putting it on my resume so I'll do that! I did get a lot of suture experience in ed as well so ill put that in too! 

I'm more worried about the actual dermatology part. I really want to make a good first impression to land the interview. 

thanks for the help!