On the right track?

Hello guys, new to the forum and started browsing a lot of the topics.

I'm about to be a junior in college at a UC with the major Biochem/Cell Biology. I've done almost all my prereqs already with the exception of like 2 microbio semesters and 1 more semester of human anatomy/phys. But... no hours of volunteering/hands on experience!!

I'm aware of the prereqs for PA schools, but I also have some questions too.. Any help I can get would be great :D

-Does it matter where I get my undergrad from?

-Do I even need to finish my undergrad (because its no required....)?

-For me to get clinic hours (or hands on patient experience), do I need to graduate first before I can start this? I don't understand how I can just be a student but handle patients? Because I don't think I'm allowed to right? Can anyone kind of explain this to me?

-What are some "patient hands on experience" I can do during the school year?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! :D

-Does it matter where I get my undergrad from?

In short, not really. Individuals on admissions committees are humans with human biases just like everyone else. Im only a student but hopothetically, if an applicant's file came to me listing a degree from my alma mater it would probably cause me to look twice. After that, all the other factorswe holdl take over.

-Do I even need to finish my undergrad (because its no required....)?

Not sure what programs you're applying to but many are masters degrees and require a bachelors degree. You will have more options if you finish your degree.

-For me to get clinic hours (or hands on patient experience), do I need to graduate first before I can start this? I don't understand how I can just be a student but handle patients? Because I don't think I'm allowed to right? Can anyone kind of explain this to me?

You can become a CNA or EMT right now. Those jobs don't require a college degree. You don't need to graduate first to start getting healthcare experience. This is something you would ideally already be working on if you want to go straight to PA school after undergrad.

-What are some "patient hands on experience" I can do during the school year?

CNA and EMT are the main ones that come to mind. Other people might have more suggestions.

Without knowing your GPA, you appear to be on the right track. Just start working on healthcare experienc. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Nurse aide at level one trauma center, 33-40 hrs/week, 15 credit hours per semester 3.8 gpa. Had a house built when I was 23 so I have to work a lot of hours. If PA is your true desire then you have to do everything to separate yourself from everyone else, meaning work long hrs (12 hr shifts), study long hrs and sleep few hrs.

Nurse aide at level one trauma center, 33-40 hrs/week, 15 credit hours per semester 3.8 gpa. Had a house built when I was 23 so I have to work a lot of hours. If PA is your true desire then you have to do everything to separate yourself from everyone else, meaning work long hrs (12 hr shifts), study long hrs and sleep few hrs.

Archived