Best Reserve/Guard component and unit?

Hi all,

I have a strong interest in joining a Reserve or Guard component as a PA. I am open to AF, Army and Navy. I am just looking for something that will limit monotony and be a rewarding experience (physically, professionally, etc.). I only have civilian clinical experience in emergency medicine (including completion of a Fellowship). I do have prior service time as enlisted Army Infantry. What are your all's thoughts on good fits for me? Bonus appreciation if you are able to provide specific units. Most of the stuff that I have read about seems limited to physician providers or requires active duty service, so I'm reaching out for some help. Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm currently located in Missouri, but I am willing to travel to other units for drill/training.

Navy Reserves might be a good option. On my deployment nearly half of our Navy medical staff were reserves. Navy PAs are deploying at a relatively high tempo right now.  I'm active duty so I can't speak to the reserves process but anecdotally I've observed the Navy reserves do some cool trauma training and deployments.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/6/2019 at 8:47 PM, dphy83 said:

Hi all,

I have a strong interest in joining a Reserve or Guard component as a PA. I am open to AF, Army and Navy. I am just looking for something that will limit monotony and be a rewarding experience (physically, professionally, etc.). I only have civilian clinical experience in emergency medicine (including completion of a Fellowship). I do have prior service time as enlisted Army Infantry. What are your all's thoughts on good fits for me? Bonus appreciation if you are able to provide specific units. Most of the stuff that I have read about seems limited to physician providers or requires active duty service, so I'm reaching out for some help. Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm currently located in Missouri, but I am willing to travel to other units for drill/training.

The 19th Special Forces Group (Airborne) [19th SFG(A)] is one of two National Guard groups of the United States Army Special Forces. 19th Group—as it is sometime called—is designed to deploy and execute nine doctrinal missions: unconventional warfare, foreign internal defense, direct action, counter-insurgency, special reconnaissance, counter-terrorism, information operations, counterproliferation of weapon of mass destruction, and security force assistance.[4] Headquartered in Draper, Utah, with detachments in Washington, West Virginia, Ohio, Rhode Island, Colorado, California and Texas, the 19th SFG(A) shares responsibility over Southwest Asia with the 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), and the Pacific with the 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne).[5][6][7] Company A, 2nd Battalion is one of several National Guard units with colonial roots.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CAdamsPAC said:

The 19th Special Forces Group (Airborne) [19th SFG(A)] is one of two National Guard groups of the United States Army Special Forces. 19th Group—as it is sometime called—is designed to deploy and execute nine doctrinal missions: unconventional warfare, foreign internal defense, direct action, counter-insurgency, special reconnaissance, counter-terrorism, information operations, counterproliferation of weapon of mass destruction, and security force assistance.[4] Headquartered in Draper, Utah, with detachments in Washington, West Virginia, Ohio, Rhode Island, Colorado, California and Texas, the 19th SFG(A) shares responsibility over Southwest Asia with the 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), and the Pacific with the 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne).[5][6][7] Company A, 2nd Battalion is one of several National Guard units with colonial roots.

Agreed that a NG SF unit would be quite interesting, but I've heard, albeit not first hand, that those slots are selective and they prefer previous SF guys to fill them. Dont think my previous infantry experience would carry much weight. Guess I could reach out to those units by phone to inquire, since I am still waiting on a call back from ARMEDD recruiter.

Edited by dphy83

8 hours ago, dphy83 said:

Agreed that a NG SF unit would be quite interesting, but I've heard, albeit not first hand, that those slots are selective and they prefer previous SF guys to fill them. Dont think my previous infantry experience would carry much weight. Guess I could reach out to those units by phone to inquire, since I am still waiting on a call back from ARMEDD recruiter.

All they can say is yes or no you have nothing to lose by asking.