Hospital Umbrella Policy

I'm currently negotiating a contract with a hospital for a position. I have read multiple posts on here about having one's own policy rather than coverage under an umbrella policy. Does anyone have any more insight into the implications of an umbrella policy versus an individual policy? Is it worth spending an additional $3k+ to sign up for my own malpractice policy? I intend to contact some malpractice companies to inquire further but I thought I'd reach out to you guys on the forum. 

90% of all jobs are like this.  You will be under the company/hospitals policy.  Virtually all carry a tail UNLESS the business/hospital goes under.  Then you are screwed.  I do recommend carrying the cm&f supplemental policy.  It adds another 100/300 but also gives you your own attorney.  Worth it if you are worried about it.

Edited by Cideous

45 minutes ago, Cideous said:

90% of all jobs are like this.  You will be under the company/hospitals policy.  Virtually all carry a tail UNLESS the business/hospital goes under.  Then you are screwed.  I do recommend carrying the cm&f supplemental policy.  It adds another 100/300 but also gives you your own attorney.  Worth it if you are worried about it.

Thank you for the information. I spoke with a malpractice lawyer who said the important thing to look for is a consent to settle provision. Basically, do I have the right to consent or not consent to settle. This may, in turn, affect what ramifications occur if a case is settled, e.g., the state PA board is notified that I settled a suit and the board may then inquire further. If there is no provision, the company/hospital can choose to settle even if I don't agree or consent. So even if I didn't do anything wrong and don't agree to settle but the hospital chooses to settle anyway, then I don't have the right to not consent to settling and I will have to deal with the ramifications out of the settlement, e.g., the board inquiring about a suit.