Urgent Care -No PTO

My urgent care group in North Carolina just released new contracts for all APPs. I have 5 yrs experience working in UC. Currently I work 0.9FTE = avg 36hrs/wk

highlights (or lowlights) of the new contract:

*NO PTO

*now "salary" vs hourly - This is significant as if I stayed after the scheduled closing, I got to make up the time the next shift by coming in later. New shifts are all paid out as 12hrs. -18 shifts/6wks

*Hourly raise $59.61 vs $46.66 - This is somewhat deceiving b/c the new contract does away with any shift diff which was significant (+$3/hr after 4pm and +$10/hr on weekends), + no PTO

*productivity bonus - which may or may not be attainable, details not important now

My biggest concern is obviously the lack of PTO. I have always had this for any full time job. Is this the new industry standard? Why does management think this is okay? Currently all the other full time employees except for the providers have PTO. They are justifying no PTO with the pay increase - however it is difficult to put a price on time away from work. Currently there is no option for unpaid time off. 

Any recommendations for approaching my higher ups regarding this foolishness? A few longtime physicians who already had new contracts released months ago left b/c PTO is "non negotiable". I understand some responses to this post would be "anything is negotiable". However I am preparing for the same response that was given to the Docs. 

I'm considering negotiating - assuming I decide to stay at this current position and ultimately am "okay with" no PTO

*Unpaid time off.

*Doing every 3rd or 4th weekend vs every other

*Increased pay,

*Always given my days requested off etc... 

Any other thoughts you guys have would be appreciated. It goes without saying but exploring other employment options/groups is always beneficial at this time.

Thanks all!

-Gregory 

Edited by Bulkypalo
hit post by accident

I'm 1.5 years out of PA school, 2 months into an urgent care solo position, in the NE. $60/hr, 3 shifts/week, every other weekend. 3 weeks PTO + 8 paid holidays. My setup is still underpaid, but I think they are taking advantage of you guys a bit- you especially, with 5 years experience. Negotiate by saying I'm going to look for another position...

I would never take salary if offered in UC, would make all the staying late shifts feel awful.

Monte is underselling it; they are taking advantage of you A LOT.

Worst case scenario, which seems pretty bad in my opinion, is that you end up working greater than 12 hrs per shift due to patients/charts/work load and not being fairly compensated for.  That alone negates the pay raise.  To take away PTO is unfathomable to me however I understand this is not uncommon in UC/ED situations - but it does leave you at the mercy of your coworkers and/or schedulers to get any time off for a proper vacation.

I also would hedge my bets the bonus on productively is either difficult to attain or requires running yourself ragged.

I want to be optimistic for you and if you think your negotiating items would actually make you happy and willing to stay, it's worth at least asking for them.  

However ultimately, especially considering even the physicians left, my overwhelming personal preference would be to take my experience and skills to a practice where I'm appreciated and fairly compensated, both financially and in benefits like PTO.