Personal statement advice

Hi everyone! 

I am wondering whether or not to include my mother's suicide due to mental illness in my personal statement. I feel like it is pivotal, since I feel very strongly about mental health, but I also worry that it's too heavy of a topic to just throw out there. It also dovetails well into why I went into the navy out of necessity and ended up serving as a corpsman thus finding my passion in medicine. Thoughts? 

You should be more specific. Obviously I can't ask you to share your personal statement here. But you can contact me. I have helped many students with this. I might be able to have a look. But in general I would say avoid to sensitive issues on personal statement. However, it should stay personal and explain why you're a good fit. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi! I just stumbled onto this topic, so I'm probably late to the party. However, I hope you did include it. I think if it was a defining moment in your life that set you on a path to PA school and sparked a passion for mental health, it will set you apart. I included some very personal details about my father's addiction in my personal statement and how it shaped my outlook on life/my profession. I have a number of interviews scheduled, including one at a top 10 program. 

• Like 1