I have been practicing as a PA for 25 years. I just took the PANRE yesterday (I am still on the 6 year cycle). I took a one week review course, studies with ROSH review, and used another study guide. According to the NCCPA, the "blueprint" for the PANRE is:  13%  Cardio, 11% GI, 9% Ortho, and 10% Pulmonary (43%!). My test appeared to be 60% Women's health and pediatrics! Every question started with a "3 month old..." or "a 26 year-old female with irregular menses..."  I've never worked in either area.

There was only one question about a heart murmur , MVP, and only four EKGs.  No questions on BP control or meds, no questions on lipids, no questions on ACS, not one question on congenital defects, and maybe one question on Heart failure . I know I have to suck it up, but this is very frustrating!  I would rather the NCCPA not post a blueprint, than have the blueprint be so inaccurate! Very frustrated with this whole re-certification process. Even if I passed, it's not because I learned anything or know the material, it's shear luck! 

• Administrator

Weird.  I'm on the pilot program, as it seems that many of our contributors are, and I haven't noticed a significant deviation from the blueprint. I do notice a lot of peds questions, but I suspect that's because peds are such a small part of my overall practice, so I sweat those questions...

Archived